Courgette recipes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try www.goodfood.com and search marrow
    Hi! Please look at my 'brilliant' site about dolls houses and miniatures! I can always use new members, not matter how much you visit or not! Also, the more members I get the more things I can put on, so go on, do me a favor and at least look!
    http://dollshousebeginner.page.tl/

Comment

Sounds lo9vely Slug. Will give it a try.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I made the cake!!! Not the chocolate one the normal one and it was yummy, Oh was a little concerned I had lost the plot when I told him what I was up to but he loved it to.

It has got to be one of the best things to do with courgettes
        Wife, mother, reader, writer, digger so much to do so little time to do it! Follow me on Twitter @digdigdigging

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
          Ok so it sounds gross. It actually tastes really great and kept well although I couldn't get mine to a "nice smooth paste". Still looks aren't everything in the veg patch.

2lb vegetable marrow (try yellow courgettes and leave the skins on), grated rind and juice of 3 large lemons, 2lb lump sugar (I used granulated), 1/4 lb butter.

Steam the marrow until tender, strain well and mash to a pulp. Add sugar and butter, grated rind and juice of lemons. Put all into a double pan and cook for about 1/2 hour until a nice smooth paste!

From a Farmers Weekly - Farm Woman's Library "Glut Book" hence the imperial measurements.
          Right earthbabe, as you can see i've found the recipe! Do I peel it and cut it into chunks(without seeds?) before steaming it or can I boil it? What is a double pan?
          Sorry if this sounds as if I am a crap cook...cos I am!!!!

I can do a mean beans on toast though!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Might be mistaken, but isn't a 'double pan' like a 'bain marie', in that you put the ingredients in to one pan then place the pan in another pan containining simmering water.
            Surely it doesn't matter if the marrow is steamed whole or in pieces - one will just take longer than the other. Personally (AND I HAVEN'T DONE THE RECIPE, SO DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE - AWAITING EARTHBABE'S ARRIVAL ONLINE) I would cut in to chunks and steam first.

Let us know the outcome as I am intrigued by this interesting use of marrows.

Comment

You are correct Waffler. I peel, chop and then steam unless I've got yellow courgettes when I just chop and steam.
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

It's worth mashing over or in a colander to get rid of excess water. Works better that way.
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Courgette With Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce

Serves 4 as a side dish. Add in some pasta to make it a main meal.

4 medium courgettes, sliced
                  2 tablespoons creme fraiche / double cream
                  1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
                  4 sun-dried tomatoes
                  1 knob butter
                  2 teaspoons olive oil

If the sun-dried tomatoes are from a jar in oil, put them in a blender and blitz. If they are dried, soak them for 15 minutes in boiling water first, then blitz with a tablespoon or two of water.

Heat the oil and the butter in a pan and saute the courgettes for about 5 minutes, until they're just cooked.

Mix together the cream, mustard and sun-dried tomato puree.

Mix the cream dressing with the courgettes. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

Serve immediately. Veg Box Recipes • Courgette / Zucchini
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Very late into this, but I started making courgette cake by simply substituting carrots for courgette in carrot cake! Needs slightly less courgettes, but works a treat! I don't peel them. Makes for interesting conversation when you pass it round

Comment

I always grate a courgette or two into ragu sauce for lasagne or spag bol. Makes the mince go further, keeps it moist and sneaks veg into my 15 year old!

Comment

Waitrose do 'recipe cards' every month. The current crop include "courgette and feta baklava". Not tried it, but it sounds tasty, and their recipes are usually simple to make. If it isn't online, I'll put the recipe here a bit later.
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Courgette and Feta Baklava with Minty Yogurt recipe - Waitrose.comWaitrose have a recipe for "courgette and feta baklava"
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

ohhhh, ratatouille! see my earlier post.

I have 4 different types of courgettes this year and am really starting to bee overloaded - lucky I love 'em!

Comment

Here is the recipe for my friend's courgette relish

Courgette Relish

1 very large courgette
                              2 small onions
                              1 small yellow and 1 small green pepper
                              3 small carrots
                              1/3 cup pickling salt (70g)
                              21/2 cups vinegar (625 ml)
                              41/2 cups preserving sugar (900g)
                              1 tsp turmeric
                              1 tsp celery salt
                              3 tsp mustard seed

Grate all the vegetables.
                              Mix well and drain off excess juice.
                              Add the salt and mix well.
                              Leave to stand overnight.
                              Drain and mix well the next morning.

In a large pot mix the vinegar, sugar and spices and bring to the boil.
                              Add the vegetables and simmer for 30 mins.
                              Bottle in sterilised jars.

janeyo

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post
                                Here are my two suggestions....

1) Courgette cake

http://www.foodiesite.com/recipes/2002-07/zuchcake.jsp

or 2) CHOCOLATE Courgette cake!!!

Chocolate Courgette Cake - Desserts - Recipes - Riverford Organic Vegetables

I'm waiting for my glut to begin..... bring it on
                                Made the riverford chocolate courgette cake this afternoon. Highly recommended. Moist, soft and yummy. Don't think it will last long!

TGR
                                TGR

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X