Beetroot....boil or baked?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beetroot....boil or baked?

I actually prefer it roasted with olive oil and herbs,but wondered what everyone does when it comes to 'basic' cooking.
    I've only ever boiled it but was told by a friend the other day that they always wrap them in foil and bake in the oven.
    I imagine they would be sweeter? (like carrots cooked in foil)

any tips/thoughts on beetroot cooking?
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

You can just boil them in a pan. I just clean them off, keep the root and about 30 min simmering in salted water. Just check with a knife that they are soft. Once they cool the skin just comes off. They are still really nice that way and takes a lot less time.

Comment

Microwave in minutes in a covered container with a little water.

http://www.healthy-beets.com/fresh-beets.html
      Last edited by veggiechicken; 08-10-2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I usually cook mine in the pressure cooker unless its Chioggia beets which get roasted otherwise you lose those pink/white circles.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

^^^^ never even considered microwaving them!

Comment

me neither - mind you, I don't have a microwave and seldom grow beetroots - so not much of a mystery in my case. :-)

Comment

I only microwave mine,ti's cleaner than boiling,just put boiling water halfway up the beets,and cook until tender,put dish under the cold tap to cool off and rub of skin,you will get used to how long they need for what size ext,my BIG crapodine i had to chop up to get in the covered dish,it was fine,
              no spashing and nice moist beets
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I just bung em in a roasting tin and into the oven having knocked the worst of the dirt off, when they're tender I rub the skins off, chop and freeze in portions for lunches (I'm the only beetroot eater).

Comment

Make nice chips, ruins the oil mind

Comment

If I need to be quick I microwave but peel and slice first to avoid the skin exploding. They're sweeter I think roasted in foil.
                    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
                      Make nice chips, ruins the oil mind
                      you could try some wedges in the oven instead,i bet they would also freeze if you only part cook them,so,instead of aunt b....... you can have greenleaves,ready for a quick turnaround,LD you will have to try this,with some,then will know how many to plant next year hehehe
                      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I roast in foil. My grandmother used to boil but I find they taste much nicer with a little olive oil and some herbs.

#I have an Aga that is on 24/7 so no issues with them in the oven a long time!
                        Last edited by Scarlet; 08-10-2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I put them in a roasting tray, drizzle with a bit of oil, sprinkle a bit of flaky salt and then bung them in the oven when I've got something else cooking. I usually cut the straggly bottom bit off but I eat the rest, skin and all.

Comment

What's the difference between baking and roasting? (Genuine question.)

Comment

In my mind baking is wrapped in foil and cooked in it's own juices/steam.
                              Roasting means in oil/fat.

I could be wrong though

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X