Quick nice wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick nice wine

My Dad used to make this in the sixties "when I were a lad"(I don't think it was his recipe though.)

3lb. Rhubarb chopped rough in a sterilised tub,cover with a bag of sugar and cover,leave for three days,stir occasionaly.
    Seive through a plastic seive into a demi-john,rinse pulp with water to make up demi john contents to a gallon. Add yeast and yeast nutrient and ferment till clear.Syphon off the lees and drink,this "dry sugar " recipe does not keep, and if you use the early seasons fruit it makes a lovely rose.
    Substitute half the Rhubarb for any soft fruit , blackberries,blackcurrents etc. to make your own alcho pops.

god i wish i had seen this in august!!

Comment

Oh no, too many ideas and only one Earthbabe. Best not mention this to Mr E as he's taken to giving me very dubious looks when I mention brewing and keeps asking where everything will go.
      Bright Blessings
      Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Hi Burnie,
        I did a similar dry sugar recipe with half rhhubarb and half raspberries this year and it was delicious, probably the best wine I've made so far! I didn't realise it doesn't keep very well though, I'd better drink it up
        Thanks for the advice !

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

I'm a bit confused by your post Burnie, what's this about keeping wine? Never a problem in our house.........................

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Rhubarb also makes a nice champagne type wine if you use the proper yeast,although if you add raisins to the bottles of almost any wine after it's completed,you can get a second fermentation that ends up sparkling.

Comment

Hi Burnie, just wondering, why will this wine not keep. It sounds yummy.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Wine not keeping in our house is no problem either; getting it chilled is the hard part; well, her birth sign is PISCES
                Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

I will try and find a technical reason why the dry sugar rhubarb doesn't keep but trust me I made gallons and it's best drunk before Christmas,and for the doubters this really can be ready for drinking in about 6 weeks and without that chemical taste that the commercial quick wines seem to have.The best to use is the early red stalks as they give the wine a lovely rose hue,be carefull to keep any rose or red wines in the dark or in red bottles as it will oxidise and spoil.

Comment

Having a read through and note some later requests for wine recipes,so I thought I'd bump this to the top as it's coming into season again

Comment

Sounds like a good one to me Burnie - now I just have to find someone with a rhubarb surplus
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

Hi Burnie,
                        How much yeast and nutrient do i need to put in?
                        Do i need to check it with a hydrometer too?
                        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hypnophil View Post
                          Hi Burnie,
                          How much yeast and nutrient do i need to put in?
                          Do i need to check it with a hydrometer too?
                          Thanks
                          a teaspoon of each.

I tend to check with a hydrometer before & after fermentation just so I know how strong the wine ends up - but I'm less rigourous about it than I used to be. CJJ Berry always recommends bunging in a can of grape concentrate too, which I'd tend to do.

Comment

Just making some of this today with the rhubarb that we picked a few mins ago.

Comment

Thanks for bumping this Zaz
                              You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X