No announcement yet.

Quick nice wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forget the exact amounts, freeze your rhubarb in inch chunks in plastic bags, remove from freezer, cut corner from bag and place in large funnel over DJ allow to drip, when DJ is 1/2 full take a reading add grape concentrate and read again, calculate desired SG with water added, add stuff and go,(apologies for being very tired), freeze and drip is what I am trying to say, pure extract of rhubarb!.
    Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

i've just made 2 gallons of this - a beautiful pink colour - anyone know how long it takes to ferment out?

Comment

This sound's right up me street, I have lot's of rhubarb to use and there's only so much I can cram into my freezer and only so many pot's of Fig and rhubarb jam I can make. So me think's I'm going to have a go at this...sound's yummy.

Comment

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
          i've just made 2 gallons of this - a beautiful pink colour - anyone know how long it takes to ferment out?
          This depends on temperature as much as anything,too cold it will stop too warm and you could kill the yeast.Normal room temp at this time of year and it should stop fermenting after about a month.Look at the demi john,you should see a lees(silt/sediment) start to form,if the bubbles have stoppped,syphon into a sterlised demi john and see if it starts fermenting again.When it's clear a final syphon and start drinking,it can still be slightly sparkling,I took this as a bonus.Remember that red/rose wines will oxydize if the light gets at the wine,either keep somewhere dark,use dark demi john or wrap a brown paper bag round the vessel.

Comment

The batch we made on the 24th has been and gone and my second batch is brewing now.

Comment

Oh lordy. It just gets too much. I have only just got round to sampling the fruit tea wine after a bottle of the Youngs quick brew merlot type. The rhubarb wine is tantalizingly clear. Are you insisting that I try some. Just for the record of course...zzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Just Started some off this morning, How long does it take from sart to bottling?

Comment

I was wondering what to do with the huge glut from next door

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                    I was wondering what to do with the huge glut from next door
                    Ferment or move house

Comment

waste not want not!

I too, have made rhubarb wine using the dry sugar method. I thought it was a waste to just throw the left over rhubarb bits away so we decided to put a load in the dehydrator and they were surprising good. Like ... can't stop eating them...good. So waste not want not.
                      By the way I just found this site and I am impressed it seems very friendly and informative. I was happy to just keep on reading and learning but I couldn't resist sharing the above. Thankyou all.

Comment

Originally posted by countrylife View Post
                        I too, have made rhubarb wine using the dry sugar method. I thought it was a waste to just throw the left over rhubarb bits away so we decided to put a load in the dehydrator and they were surprising good. Like ... can't stop eating them...good. So waste not want not.
                        By the way I just found this site and I am impressed it seems very friendly and informative. I was happy to just keep on reading and learning but I couldn't resist sharing the above. Thankyou all.
                        Damm good idea countrylife...........and welcome to the vine!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

just thought id let you know i did this with rhubarb then again with redcurrant. I washed it with a litre of grape juice rather than just water and it was beautiful and ready in under 6 weeks. You are so right about it not keeping. It didnt keep long enough to be bottled as Im ashamed to say we drank it both times in 2 days. Anyway thanks for the headache! x

Comment

http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/foru...num=1271100201

please look at this for the quickest and easiest wine I have ever made, equates to decent/good rose' @ £6 + per bottle

Comment

I had a look Obeary, but it's a heck of a quantity (5 DJs?). You can't easily scale it down for one DJ either, without wasting a lot of shop bought fruit juice?
                              Shirl's tea bag wine makes a great rose, and it's cheaper to buy a box of fruit tea than lots of cartons of fruit juice
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Quickest wine of all. 1 Gallon of smart price/value/otherwise cheap fruit juice (cranberry is wonderful, apple is cheap) 1 jar of honey (bog standard size) chuck them both in a demi john, add yeast, wait 3 weeks, wash out demijohn and tube to get it off the miniscule amount of sediment, test it, forget about the other demijohn, drink some more. Drink the rest over the next 2 or 3 nights to stop it oxidising, use clean demijohn to start another brew..........simples!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X