No announcement yet.

Anybody involved in Winemaking?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have two brews on the go at the moment, and both are behaving in the same way. A golden plum wine, and a pear wine.

They went ballistic in the fermentation bin (for the alloted 7/5 days respectively) in the airing cupd, but after being strained and put in the demi john, they haven't really done a lot

Our airing cupboard is clearly a problem - It has a radiator in it, so goes from really hot to cool on a daily basis. Right now, they have been removed from the airing cupd and have spent a couple of nights in the spare bedroom (which is quite cool, but probably the most constant temp in the house) wrapped in a blanket!! I have just won an ebay auction for a heater tray thingy, so that should arrive in a few days, and maybe that will help...

any and all advice greatly appreciated

Comment

just in case

Hi! angie loves veg, If the air is still going backwords I would suggest racking off and a restart.
      Syphon the brew of the lees (solids) then make up a starter with about a pint of sugar solution plus yeast. Keep this warm, blood heat, untill it starts to froth. Then add the same volume of stuck brew to it. Allow a day or two for the brew to all start working then add same volume, two pints, and wait for this to start.
      Keep at it and eventually you will have a brew.
      Enjoy

Comment

This is fascinating! I had really never considered brewing my own wine before reading the grapevine, but I'm intrigued now.

What I want to know is......how does it really taste?

I'm no wine snob, but I do like my red wine. What is this homebrewed wine really like? Can it compete on flavour with modest shop bought wines?

I know it's a bit of a daft question, because taste is subective anyway, but I always had the idea that homebrewed wines were a waste of time. I don't know where I picked this idea up from.....it was probably Tom and Barbera on the good life when I was a kid!

I like the idea of it as expressed by the members on here though. Come on, what does it really taste like?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyto Alba View Post
          This is fascinating! I had really never considered brewing my own wine before reading the grapevine, but I'm intrigued now.

I'm no wine snob, but I do like my red wine. What is this homebrewed wine really like? Can it compete on flavour with modest shop bought wines?

I know it's a bit of a daft question, because taste is subective anyway, but I always had the idea that homebrewed wines were a waste of time. I don't know where I picked this idea up from.....it was probably Tom and Barbera on the good life when I was a kid!

I like the idea of it as expressed by the members on here though. Come on, what does it really taste like?

The best red home brew I've made (and I've only been at it since Autumn) is Blackberry. imho it rivals a very good burgundy, full bodied, taste of liquorish and chocolate, dry and fruity all at once.
          I was lucky enough to get a few buckets full of fruit last Sept and have had fun. Am just brewing the last batch now, can hardly wait for it to clear.

Parsnip has been another hit; dry white, full of a unique (non-parsnip) flavour which sort of 'champagned' itself. I made plum which was gentler, not quite so full of flavour, but very acceptable as a rosee. [can't get the accent!]

The apple and pear I made were ok, but a little acid for my taste. Blackberry and parsnip definitely win.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyto Alba View Post

If you want to have a try without too much outlay and with not much technicality - then buy a kit from Wilkinsons - for about 20 quid you will make 6 bottles of wine in a week - all the gear is in the kit. I make the chardonnay kit and it is quite enjoyable. There are more expensive kits which make better quality wine and of course, you can make from raw ingredients - I started with kits and still make them as a drink straight away option - getting more into making 'proper wine' which takes longer.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

By George I'm going to have a go!

Comment

I can really recommend First Steps in winemaking CJJ Berry as a reference book. Lots of recipes which really work. Go for it and let us know how you get on.

Comment

I've just ordered the CJJ Berry book from Amazon!

Comment

Started the Rhubarb Scnapps on Sunday....well, making it!
                    When can I drink it!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

brilliant thread! i'm a total newbie grow yer owner. however got diverted by freecycle this morning and this evening will be picking up a winemaking kit (comprising 2 x glass demijohns, 2 x plastic demijohns, airlocks, syphon tubes, filter, heat tray, hydrometer, 12 x bottles, corks/stoppers)

all I have to do is work out how to make the stuff! fond and fuzzy memories of my nans homemade blackcurrant and ribena circa 1981 - if i get even as quarter as good as result i'll be happy.

one question....i remember my nan keeping stuff in the airing cupboard and that. we've limited indoor space. What I do have at the end of the garden though is a potting shed/greenhouse that realistically i'm not going to use this year. One of those octagonal ones - wooden floor, white pvc frame, not glass but plastic corrugated type material. windows and things are on those temp controlled automatic openers. could i keep brew out there this or would it still be too cold or inconsistent??

Comment

Originally posted by laura g View Post
                        brilliant thread! i'm a total newbie grow yer owner. however got diverted by freecycle this morning and this evening will be picking up a winemaking kit (comprising 2 x glass demijohns, 2 x plastic demijohns, airlocks, syphon tubes, filter, heat tray, hydrometer, 12 x bottles, corks/stoppers)

all I have to do is work out how to make the stuff! fond and fuzzy memories of my nans homemade blackcurrant and ribena circa 1981 - if i get even as quarter as good as result i'll be happy.

one question....i remember my nan keeping stuff in the airing cupboard and that. we've limited indoor space. What I do have at the end of the garden though is a potting shed/greenhouse that realistically i'm not going to use this year. One of those octagonal ones - wooden floor, white pvc frame, not glass but plastic corrugated type material. windows and things are on those temp controlled automatic openers. could i keep brew out there this or would it still be too cold or inconsistent??
                        Hi Laura and welcome to the vine. Glad you've been inspired but us all.
                        the best advice I can give you is to get hold of a copy of First steps in Winemaking by CRR Berry. This has been my bible with lots of lovely recipes and useful tips.
                        As far a leaving demijohns outside goes, you'll probably be ok in summer, but a colder winter won't do much for the yeast, so if you can fit a couple of demi-johns behind your kitchen door (my preferred space) or on the floor of your airing cupboard it may do better.
                        Hope you enjoy having a go and do let us know how you get on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X