Anybody involved in Winemaking?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody involved in Winemaking?

Have been experiementing the last few months with wine making (hic hic) and really pleased with the results. Are now branching out a bit and trying to make wine from raw ingredients rather than the purchased kits. Can anybody recommend/know about any winemaking/home brewing courses in the south east? Have found a couple in London but they are about £1,000 each and FAR too professional sounding......

Why don't you get hold of CJJ Berry's books on winemaking? They give you all the info and are well worth the few £'s they cost? I have used recipes from them with great success!

Comment

Was given a copy last week (for my birthday) - you're right it is great but thought it would be helpful to actually have practical advise. When the recipe says "leave for four days" how do you know that it's ready then or you haven't done something wrong? Seem to have found local courses on all sorts of things from Archaeology to Psychology but nothing about wine!

Comment

If you have look around the car boots, Boots used to do a very good home brew book, wine & beer. The mixed fruit jam rose' is excellent
        Last edited by nick the grief; 24-08-2006, 05:32 PM.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBaz View Post
          When the recipe says "leave for four days" how do you know that it's ready then or you haven't done something wrong?
          Because half of the fun of winemaking is just to give it a go and not get too technical! As long as you follow instructions, and keep the air out of it once the bubbler goes on, there is not much that can go wrong!

Besides which you also get the fun of trying it when you rack it so you can soon tell if it is a bit 'iffy'! Go on be a devil and give it a go!

Comment

I used to make wine and beer when I was younger I also remember getting a hiding off my Mam for getting my 12 year old brother drunk! I used to try out my brews effectiveness on him. I must have been 15 years old at the time. Ahhh happy days!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

For our younger viewers....'please do not try this at home'
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Agreed squirel its all in the fun you have experimenting, and seeing the look on peoples faces when they come around for "one of tom and barberas dinners" when you messed up. tee hee, got some nice elderberry and blackberry recipe's but this year want to try one with less chemicals when i find a good one i'll let you know
                Yo an' Bob
                Walk lightly on the earth
                take only what you need
                give all you can
                and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

My mum used to make wine, syrups etc. when I was young. She has given my sister and I Marguerite Pattens' 500 recipes Home made Wines and Drinks. Admittedly she thinks her results were always a bit hit and miss. I remember very good elderflower and lovely blackberry. Hubby and I are now looking to get started but haven't got anywhere to put demi-johns etc at the mo

Maybe next year. Will have to hunt around car boots or something for some kit.
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

brewing courses

High ! If you want brewing courses in the south east try Plumpton College

Comment

Hello, as an allotment holder and novice winemaker, I have just joined this forum and hope to exchange ideas with you all.

I started wine making in August with a can from Wilkinsons, which was ok, but i wanted more. I bought CJJ Berry's book, and then we went berrying along the canal bank - got 40 lbs of blackberrys, some of which I have successfully made into wine. I was lucky enough to be given six demijohns and a few other bits of kit, and at the moment I've got apple, parsnip, blackberry and plum on the go, and feel quite happy with experimenting. It really is more of an art than a science (well, ok a bit of both) but really I would say Trust yourself and go for it. Good luck.

Comment

chemicals, here, in wine.

Hi Yoanbob, Would like to know what chemicals you were directed to put in you blackberry wine. Many of them can be found naturally such as half a cup of tea (no milk please) instead of tannin. Apparantly grape is one of the few juices that can support a yeast undoctored, mind you apples seem to do well enough.

Comment

In my experience you can make wine out of anything. Parsnip definately is the best for alcohol content just remember not to push the juice out of them or it wont clear. Pear wine seems to be very easy and elderberry and elderflower are FOC. Rhubarb is another good wine, peach was a failure possibly due to the skin. Peapod is light and dry, carrot is quite dense. Whatever happens usually you will end up with a home made wine to cause a stir!!. Follow the book and you'll be ok.

Comment

Hi Peafailure! Welcome to the grapevine otherwise known as the madhouse!
                            [

Comment

Maxbaz, wine courses

Wondered what you thought of the replies to your post. You have two routes, one is to buy ccj berry and make it like they did in the 50's. The other is to enroll maybe at Plumpton College and learn how to do it in a more controlled way.
                              Making wine from the vine is a careful chemical process, If you go to plumpton you will be shown the depth of the process.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X