No announcement yet.

Chilli Vodka

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My goodness Multiveg! a garlic vodka! is that like the famous Peter Kay "garlic bread"? Nearest thing I've ever had was by accident - I put some garlic cloves in the freezer near some choc ices. My guests comments are not for this forum! DDL
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I do like Jothegardener with chillis and make chilli oil - also by drying them (hung in airing cupboard), then simply adding to a bottle of olive oil. Has a bit of a kick but not too potent. Mother in law gave us some she'd done last year, but she infused hers somehow first, then added whole chillis more for decoration than anything. Hers was stronger than ours, so if you do the oil route, choose your method according to how strong you like your chillis.

Comment

I have just filled 4 wine bottles with rhubarb Schnapps (vodka) and to two of the bottles I have added a rather hot long chilli with a slit cut into the side to let the oil from the seeds impart there magic.

Now then, Rhubarb Schnapps with a fiery kick

Comment

That'll warm the cockles of your heart Pigletwillie on cold winter nights

Comment

Just been given some chillies...4 green and 2 red....bought a cheap bottle of vodka also!
            Have I got enough chillies? Do I leave seeds in?.... Will it be ready for Chrimbo? Or is there already a recipe, cos I can't find it!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadger take a look at posts #3 and #10 by Yoanbob. They answer your question.
              [

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay View Post
                Snadger take a look at posts #3 and #10 by Yoanbob. They answer your question.
                Its very non-commital isn't it ie " How many chillies you use depends on how hot you like it"? I don't want to have to use it as a pesticide because I can't drink it!
                The chillies I've been given are about 6" long and 1/2" wide at top tapering to a point! I have no idea what variety they are.
                What I really wanted to know has anyone used 6 chilles and was it ok?
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

But Snadger you want to drink it at Christmas so going off those replies I would slit the chillies and use all of them.
                  [

Comment

I would agree with LJ. going on the size you've given, and the fact that apparently the smaller the fierier (is that a word?) I would say yours are reasonably tame (although once again this comes down to individual taste and pain threshold!) and would use them all, after slitting down the sides. I have cayenne chillis which are similar in size to yours and I chop them up, seeds and all to add to dishes as they're not too potent. Also, given that people have suggested 6 months infusion, it won't have the time to get too hot if you want it for Christmas. If you're bottling it, surely you could give it a taste every couple of weeks or so until it reaches the desired heat.

Comment

Thanks for your replies, I'll give it a try and use them all then!

If it doesn't work out I can always put it in my paraffin heater and heat my greenhouse with it!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadgar, its only my opinion but i would think 6 chilli's would be too much.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                          Snadgar, its only my opinion but i would think 6 chilli's would be too much.
                          Thanks bramble, that is what I am after, how many do you reckon them?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Is there anyone out there who has actually made this stuff and had good results?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My Rhubarb scnapps with a single chillie in it certainly has an extra afterglow to it. I concur that 6 chillies would make it undrinkable after a while.

Comment

snadgar, sorry for being non commital, i would do it with three to start with, you will get some result, split them for x-mas. its your first time so err on the side of caution you can allways up yhe amount to six for next year.
                                Yo an' Bob
                                Walk lightly on the earth
                                take only what you need
                                give all you can
                                and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X