Growing Florence Fennel

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Florence Fennel

I don't mean THE Vine's own Florence Fennel aka Flo but the vegetable one.

Its something I've never tried to grow, probably because I'm not too keen on the aniseed taste. However, I have seeds (old so probably not viable) and I fancy giving them a go. I've read that if you let then go to seed, you'll never have to sow them again. That sounds very appealing but does it really happen?

I've also read that it should be sown in July and needs lots of water.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/ho...growing-fennel

Anyone have any experiences to share please?
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 24-06-2018, 09:14 PM.

I've grown small bulbs successfully by starting in modules and planting out. You definitely need to sow from June onwards, even though the packets usually say March to May. Sown early it simply bolts. Bolting is a problem with it anyway. Having grown Sirio and had trouble with bolting I am now trying Romanesco which is supposed to be more resistant to bolting.

I'm trying some direct sown at the allotment and have 4 young plants that have so far not been eaten by slugs. I've heard that slugs don't like fennel, but when I tried planting this at my friend's it didn't survive the night, clearly having been eaten by slugs.

I'm not keen on the taste of it raw, but it makes a nice risotto when flavoured with white wine and lemon juice.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Thanks Pene.
      I have some "Colossale" from Realseeds which says "Sow thinly in situ from mid May to early August - later sowings are better."
      It also says that, when harvesting, if you cut them off with a knife at ground level they will often resprout at the roots and make additional smaller bulbs.
      Worth a try!

Comment

I'm growing fennel for the first time this year, Only I sowed mine at the end of march in a 4" pot and pricked them out into 10 packs almost as soon as they had a new leaf past seedling stage. They grew well and I planted them out as 'spindly' specimens the 7th May.
        At the moment of the 16 I planted out 2 look like they have bolted so far, the rest look like I could harvest baby fennel! They are planted where they don't get sun until 11am and then for the rest of the day.

I have no idea of the variety my Mum bought a magazine with 10 free packets of seeds so I sowed them...lol...

I'm expecting them to bolt and plan to resow...

Comment

I tried it last year - the taste seemed weak. I've noticed a lot of recipes seem to include aniseed or caraway seeds which also have the aniseed flavour so I'm guessing most of the bulbs aniseed flavour is actually coming from the spices added instead.

Threw some seeds in today though (literally) to see if that one instance was just an unlucky fluke.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Monty sowed his on Friday I keep on growing and thriving Chick, just!
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I've tried the last 2 years and failed dismally, bolting being the problem, they do not seem to like being moved, so sowing in situ seems to be the answer, I intend to sow mine later when I return from the hospital. I tried growing in a mini tunnel and in the greenhouse, that seemed to just accelerate the bolting, so outside in a raised bed is it's last chance saloon this year.

Comment

Sowed some for the first time about ten days ago, still a no show atm.
                Last edited by jackarmy; 25-06-2018, 07:03 AM.

Comment

I've got 'Di Firenze' fennel that came with GYO mag it says to sow direct between May to July so I'll be sowing today were there's gaps in my parsnip bed, and some into newspaper pots.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

As per Bren, I got my seeds from GYO. Planted them direct in the ground a week or two ago, they have started off nicely (which is not a given in my plot). We shall see how they cope.

Comment

Sowed for the first time last year, found an old packet of seeds lurking in the depths of the seed tin. Got about 12 plants but they were very small by harvesting time. I think the trick is not too early so they don't bolt but not too late so you get something worth having....

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                      I'm not keen on the taste of it raw, but it makes a nice risotto when flavoured with white wine and lemon juice.
                      It is also lovely thinly sliced and added to salmon risotto... Mmmm salmon and fennel risotto with a cold crisp white wine............

Comment

I put some in my mix-and-chuck selection which I scattered on 5th May. I have a few fennel fronds now about 6" tall - I was hoping they might be carrots - my nemesis - but they are all fennel dotted among all the other stuff that grew.
                        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

Forget to post to say I've sown my seeds straight into the parsnip bed didn't bother with newspapers pots, they would have only dried out to quick in this hot weather.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I'm waiting for the rain before I sow any. The ground is so hard and dust dry!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X