Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

October magazine offer of raspberries and strawberries.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning to plant the raspberry canes in containers. Just been reading online to put 6 canes in a 60cm(24inch) pot...is that not an awful lot? What would be the best size for the 3 glen ample canes in this offer, would prefer they were in the one container...is that possible?
    Last edited by Jay22; 07-11-2014, 10:12 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Strawberries all potted up in one of these stack-a-pot things...just wondered, should they be protected over winter and if so with what?
      sigpic

Comment

Jay I don't know if you've already tried the stacking pots and had any success but personally I don't think they are any good. They are too small and the plant doesn't grow very big which means smaller and fewer berries. I noticed a big difference when I moved mine to somewhere they had more room to grow, hanging baskets are a good option if you're short of space like me.

I've got a few plants in the blow away at the minute but other than that mine have survived every winter that I've thrown at them just out in the cold with no love. I too plan on growing my raspberries in containers, at first I had figured three to a wide trough about 30in long but now I'm thinking that's too much room and maybe I'll put more than that in there. Good luck with yours
        Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

Haven't tried these pots before, planted them up today so will keep my fingers crossed. If they don't work for the strawberries, I'll use it for herbs next year. Do you think it's worth putting them in the blow away for the winter then? Have got the 3 Glen Ample raspberry canes to go in tomorrow...would that be too many to put in a 40cm pot?
          sigpic

Comment

I plan on growing herbs in my stacking pots from now on, I had mint in one this year and it grew like wildfire. If you've got room in your blow away then by all means put the strawbs in, I don't think they need protection where I live but having said that you're further up than me so don't take the risk and keep them covered. You'll just have to make sure they don't dry out if they aren't getting any rain. I personally think 40cm pot is fine for 3 rasps, I was at the garden centre a few months back and they had 6 canes growing in a 20cm pot, there were raspberries on the canes too so they didn't seem to be suffering too much by overcrowding.

Comment

Thanks Moopmoop, I put the Strawbs in the blow away yesterday just in case. Heeled in the Raspberries as didn't have enough earth for the pot...hopefully get it tomorrow. Will go with the three and see how they turn out! Will keep an eye out for the strawberries though just in case they do dry out!
              Last edited by Jay22; 09-11-2014, 09:03 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
              sigpic

Comment

Planted all my strawberries down the allotment today along with the raspberry canes! Hopefully we all get a good pudding out of them next year! I know they say you should take the fruit off first year but temptation kicks in.

Comment

Ok one question, would now be a good time to remove the strawberry plants from the blowaway?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
                    Ok one question, would now be a good time to remove the strawberry plants from the blowaway?
                    and do what with them?

Comment

Do you really want me to tell you Norfolk?!

I've planted them in one of those tower pots and kept them in the blowaway over the winter, just wondered if it's the right time to introduce them to the elements.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah I don't think it'll do them any harm to be moved outside now, mine have been out all winter and aren't showing any signs of suffering. It's a shame I didn't take my own advice about watering under cover, last time I looked I'd lost a few plants cos they'd dried out. Luckily enough I've still got 30+ plants.

Comment

Just remembered that I have these strawbs & raspberries too. Planted mine out as soon as they arrived. Strawbs looking healthy, rasps looking like sticks Early days for signs of growth yet.

Comment

Thanks Moopmoop, got a bit of,washing and housework to catch up on today but as soon as I get a chance I will get them out!
                            sigpic

Comment

Hopefully this will post ok...can't see half of it for ads!

Should I expect any growth on these raspberry and strawberry plants just now...I don't have any sign of anything growing yet. Thanks.
                              sigpic

Comment

Nothing on my raspberries yet and the strawbs are dormant too - not dead but not exactly active either

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X