No announcement yet.

Stopping Cats Messing!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its odd isn't it, it is totally unacceptable to allow dogs to roam free and foul pavements. But cat owners in general do not give a XXXX where their cats XXXX. No other pet would be allowed to roam wild, decimate wildlife and foul other peoples properties so how is it that cats get way with it? I just don't know how anyone can be an animal lover and keep cats. Basically if folk want a pet cat, keep it in the house and give it a litter tray. As for your problem, buy an air gun?

Comment

I am an animal lover and I have a cat - in fact the reason I have a cat is Because I'm an animal lover. We found her under our car with an airrifle pellet lodged in her throat, took her to the vet to be sorted out, then since nobody else wanted we took her in. She is an outdoor cat, a very independent creature, who does what comes naturally. It would be very cruel of me to lock her indoors (would YOU like to be confined to the house permanently?) I find cats toilet habits as annoying as the next person but am prepared to do what I have to to protect my space, whilst appreciating their right to their space. Mine is a very clean cat, you would NEVER EVER find her 'doing her business' in the open or not burying it, at least she tries to not leave the evidence and to be as clean as she can - you will never step on her sh*t in the street as happens with some dogs. Cats are just one more of gods creatures, and I'm resigned to live and let live.
      Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Since when have cats been a natural ie. native predator of british wildlife? Birds are only doing what comes naturally to them. Unfortunately for them cats are not a natural predator. I would guess that your cat does not mess in your garden, but probably messes in one of your neighbours, where your cat will be marking out the borders of it's territory.

Comment

When I said does what comes naturally I meant poo! She doesnt actually kill anything, shes too daft (and old at around 14)! My neighbour has virtually adopted her as her own so is happy to have her in the garden, and my garden has another 3 cats who regularly visit. I admit that when she dies I wont get another cat and wouldnt have chosen one as a pet, but having found her in need under my car couldnt leave her to suffer and now love her to bits, which emotion is returned from her. I would never chose to hurt any animal, they cant help their instincts,it isnt their fault. So I will continue to do all I can to humanely protect my crops from them, and from all other pests in the garden and continue my policy of live and let live as much as I can. Sorry, not trying to be argumentative, just to explain my feelings!
          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

My old cat, who was a rescue lived to be almost 30! He was evil but I loved him anyway. He slept with me and my little conea, sorry for the spelling but a small green bird who snuggled upo with us every night. He used a litter tray, was innoculated, wormed etc., I hate the thought of any child catching germs from any of my pets! He was bomb proof with my hourd but lay in wait for other children passing our house after school and mugged them on a regular basis. The moral of the story being nobody is perfect and if we were we would be wearing wings!
            Derbyshire born Derbyshire bred & I'm not thick int'arm ort'ead!

Comment

I think devices such as electronic cat repellers are meant to provide a more permanent solution. I've found some on this site www.primrose-london.co.uk/cat_repeller.php that are quite good value and if they work that would be great. I like cats but like other ppl have said i cannot have them fouling in my garden anymore. Its draving me crazy!!! I've ordered a battery powered one from this company so i'll let you know if it works

Comment

Good grief, I was thinking Moggs would only be around for 5 or 6 more years littleweed! I really do feel sorry for people without cats who have to put up with their mess and if I ever find a real solution I will post it here poste haste! Moggs has a litter tray but does go outside as well - and she's wormed and innoculated too so i do all I can to be a responsible 'owner' (do I really own her, or just feed and house her??!).
                I've never tried the battery cat scarers, would be interested in others' experience of them though?

Comment

Cats in general hate citrus fruits. My mum used to put lime slices in her plants to keep my cat away. But they also hate all other citrus, so a good way to recycle orange peel and stuff. Also garlic powder works, basically anything with a pungent smell.

Comment

My cats were all house cats,taken out ,like the dogs on leads.
                    One day a cat got out(searched far and near )and later that evening dragged himself to the door with a broken back.
                    A neighbour told us that his next door neighbour had walloped him with a spade as he cowered,terrified and lost in his garden.
                    I agree absolutely that cats should not be allowed to roam.They do cause road traffic accidents,annoy neighbours and **** where they will but they are "innocent" culprits and in the main are dearly loved members of someone's family.
                    Pond netting is cheap to buy,plastic water pipe(the bendy type) makes admirable supports and lasts a lifetime and this will cover all your veg. Perhaps your cat-owning neighbours will make a contribution!!

Comment

Poor you Polly - did the cat make it?

I own two cats and would happily register them and pay a licence. The are allowed out and usually use my garden rather than the neighbours so not too much of an issue for me!

As a general rule cats are very fastidious - are you sure the unburied waste is theirs and not a fox? Foxes often c**p on the lawns and never bury it!

Just a thought....
                      The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Oh no Polly, thats awful. I agree Terry, I would happily get a licence for my cat. And I was wondering about foxes as well, no cat I know has ever left unburied poo on a lawn but foxes definitely do.

Comment

My opinions on cats are well documented in the other threads we have had recently. I rate the health of my children above the rights of any overgrown garden rat to crap in my garden. As I have said before, there are ways to stop it, it just depends how committed you are.

Maybe we should have a system where anyone who owns a cat (or a dog, I'm not prejudice! ) pays a deposit as well as a license registration?

Putting £500 per cat into a pool for those affected by the cats to claim against might make people think twice!
                          Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
                          I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

By the way although I am anti cats, other than throw small stones in their vacinity to get them out of my garden, I would never actually harm a cat, my reference to a small air gun was not meant in serious. I do hate cats and dispise the damage that they cause, but I could never be malicious to anything with fur and four legs!

Comment

I've got two cats both of which were rescue cats. Obviously they're not perfect but we do endeavour to be responsible owners. This does not include keeping them locked in a house against their will which would be very cruel for animals which are used to wandering - how would you like to be shut up all day? The do kill the occaisional wild animal but not many and with their ability on the stalking from it's more a case of natural selection as they only really get the weak and slow ones. I don't like cat mess either but at least ours are pretty tidy and usually stick to the same place and certainly bury their mess. I have no problems with people scaring them off with a hose pipe etc but wish that people would realise that there are plenty of other creatures that also cause damage, squirels digging up my bulbs every year for example.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the obvious problems with cats and am therefore very supportive of the likes of Cats Protection League's neutering programme (every town and village has a mad cat woman) but just put it into perspective. Licence registration won't work as many people won't buy them (as happened with the now redundant dog system) and how do you check when a cat is out and about on it's own? Asking for a deposit (or whatever you want to call it) would also lead to, for example, the eldery lady along the road from us having to either break the law or give up on her companion due to it costing too much. Perhaps not as simple as a knee jerk reaction.

On a final note (believe me I had a real rant about this last night but perhaps fortunatley my computer crashed and it didn't post!) there are many people out there who take no responsibility for their kids (and believe me I'm not particularly keen on the well behaved ones when they're imposed on me against my will) so perhaps this is where we should be starting rather than with cats...........

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post

On a final note (believe me I had a real rant about this last night but perhaps fortunatley my computer crashed and it didn't post!) there are many people out there who take no responsibility for their kids (and believe me I'm not particularly keen on the well behaved ones when they're imposed on me against my will) so perhaps this is where we should be starting rather than with cats...........
                                Agreed, and there are far stricter checks on people who want to adopt rescued animals than there are on those who want to be parents! However, the excuses some idiot parents make for their unruly kids are no different to the ones some cat owners make for their unruly pets.

My mother in laws cat is an old blob, and fat enough to make TWO useful slippers! It still managed to get two blue tit chicks that had just started to learn to fly in their garden. She is a cat lover and even she wasn't amused, to the extent that the cat almost became a rescue cat again!
                                Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
                                I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X