what's your worst weed???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Eskymo, a good website is:-theseedsite.co.uk/weeds.html
    it has a link on the page where you click on the colour of the weed flowers & it shows you a selection with the flowers & also what the seedlings look like when they just come up.Hope it is of some use.
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

That's a really useful site, but can't find the weeds that are in my garden on - I should go out and photograph them and maybe someone on this forum could tell me...not sure I've got any at the moment though as I weeded just the other day. Cheers for the link.

Comment

Quite like my weeds really. I have had to reclaim our garden from weed wilderness so I have developed a strange but comfortable habitat arrangement with them! Still sends my mother into a nervous flurry of activity when she sees my ground elder, which of course I don't stop. Hey if someone else wants to weed for me, I'll not be stopping them!

I do have japanese knotweed though, which I don't like at all. Have been told I should just move house rather than battle it! Any suggestions gratefully received!

PJB

Comment

repeated sprayings till it gives up!
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

I've got creeping buttercup, spent most of Saturday digging it out of flowerbeds and cursing.

Comment

Thanks SueA for the link. I've now identified the beast that's suffocating everything in my border - lesser celandine. Since the sun has finally made an appearance it's covered in yellow flowers which are admittedly very pretty, but it's completely taken over everywhere. I'm in a rural location with a 'garden' that was actually part of a field so wonder if this has anything to do with its appearance? I certainly didn't plant it! Still, it's the only thing that's managed to smother the bindweed
              If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
              Cicero

Comment

you've go a handful there Bilbo, Celendines have a creeping Tuber/rhyzome. If you don't get it all out, it will regrow
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Nick I spent most of last year trying to get as much root of the bindweed that was blighting that spot out - and now I seem to have created ideal condtions for the new invader! I'm surprised how plumptious it looks standing about 4-5" proud and covering an area about 20'x3' It was literally just there one day - I've never seen it in the garden before. Any suggestions for getting rid of it?
                  Cicero

Comment

hi bibliobeck - I've resorted to using Tumbleweed on acres of mine... dug loads out from where it was mixed in with flowers (still coming back though) and then decided to try alternative methods. will let you know if it works or not!!

Comment

Thanks F&VV - one of my colleagues suggested round up too - but what about my poor plants that are already in there I'd be really interested in hearing about successful alternatives - I can feel weeks of digging coming on...still think of the calories burned
                      Cicero

Comment

Method of application for Bibliobeck

There are options for Roundup other than spraying!

Using good waterproof gloves you can mix up Roundup in a jar or plastic painting pot and use a paintbrush, or peice of rag to paint the bindweed.

If the bindweed is intertwined with your crops, untwine it first.

You could even use canes and train the bindweed up them and away from the food plants before painting them.

Sounds fiddly, but it beats digging, especially if you have crops in place.
                        Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                        Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                        I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X