Mystery root monster...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dotty Sarah View Post
    Do you know if the odd bits of root left ...are likely to re grow?
    Why are you removing the most useful plant on the allotment?

They will provide you with up to 6 cuts a year, of high potash plant food: roughly chop the leaves and apply as a mulch around everything.

I have comfrey lining 3 sides of my 30 rod allotment, it's only just enough
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've dug it out on my plot too. It was getting very invasive into beds that I need to grow things to eat. Don't mind it round the edges, but I'm not having it taking over the whole plot... Possibly Dotty Sarah is asking how to store the roots because someone suggested she sell them?! In which case, I'd say wrapped in wet newspaper and dropped into freezer bags.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
        It was getting very invasive
        Ah, common comfrey then, not Bocking 14. Which doesn't move or invade, unless you accidentally cut bits of root off when you're digging.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          Why are you removing the most useful plant on the allotment?
          I didn't know it was there when I started digging! It appears to be in a straight row so may not have spread since it was planted but I've only got half a plot and already had plans for most of the space. I've dug out about half so far so will leave the rest to develop although there are so many roots it will probably grow back on the other side!

Originally posted by Newton View Post
          I will have some.......are you going to the grapefeststockmeetthingy?. If so could you bring a bagful?
          grapefeststockmeetthingy? Not sure of any details but if I can make it will bring some along, there is obviously plenty!

Comment

Originally posted by Dotty Sarah View Post
            I've only got half a plot
            Alright, I'll let you off then

I get a bit miffed with new tenants who dig everything out because they are impatient to get going, and because they want everything to be new and "theirs". Our newest lad has ripped out lovely raspberry and dahlia beds and rotavated the whole plot (which is now covered in a flush of weeds, hoho)
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 15-03-2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              I get a bit miffed with new tenants who dig everything out because they are impatient to get going, and because they want everything to be new and "theirs". Our newest lad has ripped out lovely raspberry and dahlia beds and rotavated the whole plot (which is now covered in a flush of weeds, hoho)
              I dug up a lot of raspberries when I got my plot as I felt that 3 large patches and a long row was a little excessive. I THINK that most of the ones I dug up were autumn ones which I didn't want as I had some at home already but I did still leave loads at the back of the plot (in fact I probably should have thinned them more initially than I did) and it was nice to get something for free as the half a bike and piles of carpet samples I also found were of less use
              Last edited by Alison; 15-03-2013, 08:02 PM.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

what i did with some spare bits was to put them in a little compost,both seed trays,thats how come i had some to give away the next year,just as they were starting to show green,thats how i got mine,as a gift,it's bocking 14,
                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X