Moles who love veg

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moles who love veg

I have a mole problem in my raised beds. It doesn't seem to mind which patch of veggies it tunnels up through, and it is starting to br quite disruptive as the bed fill up. I know you can buy sonic deterrents, but I am sure I read somewhere about using kid's windmills, or some other such solution. Any further suggestions - or indeed ideas of how many windmills I need?!!

traps - its the only way if you want to get rid of them. the sonic things are useless - they just move them round the garden.
    There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
    Happy Gardening!

Comment

Moles

Hi Ive just joined today as ive been at home poorly, had to cancel my birthday get together for tonight! anyway been really enjoying reading this site for months and so busy digging new lotty. Now ive got some planting underway- ive got a lovely little friend tunnelling thru !!! that's so polite compared to how im feeling. So if i catch the minx in a trap er... what do i do with it!
      i have twisted my ankle in the soft bits and tried putting canes with bottles on, child's windmill and ***** fluid in the tunnel - as i was told they dont like the smell- its still at large in the same area- does anyone know if they drink? and i mean water, im not offering it a g & t.
      I didnt see the article in the edp and i work with children- we dont want to kill anything but if this one gets any nearer to my little grandsons carrots and red cabbages i think he may change his mind!
      be nice to hear from someone. cheers, actiongran.

Comment

Hi Actiongran. Sorry you had to cancel your birthday celebrations. Hope you feel better soon. Whereabouts in Norfolk are you? I'm just over the border in Lowestoft. Dont have a problem with moles at the moment thank goodness. Don't know of any foolproof way to get rid of moles apart from poisoning them, and I personally don't like the idea of that. You could try standing on the lottie, spade in hand, waiting for him to surface.

Comment

Hello Action Gran and welcome to the Vine. Moles are never simple but see what DEFRA has to say.
          http://www.defra.gov.uk/rds/publicat...cal/TAN_03.pdf

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine,

In the graet words of Jsper Carrott, 'only one way to get rid of a mole, blow its b****y ed'orf'

Many a true word spoken in jest, they are a lovely animal which tick all the cute boxes until in one night they tunnel their way through a favourite patch and ruin months of hard work.

You too will be sat on a swivel stool in the garden, torch strapped to your barrell, looking like the needles lighthouse in the dark.

Sorry, but you really do have to get in a trapper if you want rid, it will be quick, efficient and humane.

Darren

Comment

Thanks so much for your replies,only just picked up- im in Norwich and yesterday tried ***** fluid again in the tunnel, as tipped off by fellow gardener at the Lotty. it seems to have kept moley away from the main bed of attack but i think its headed into the next bed i uncovered ready for planting. i agree the trap sounds best as i havent spent the whole winter double digging 70ft of nettles, docks and bindweed roots for a 4inch critter to move in and destroy my first growth of something vaguely edible! we're just enjoying the second night of rain since 6weeks dry sunshine, do moles like rain? cheers actiongran.

Comment

Certainly the moles in my garden like rain. During the dry spell, very little mole activity, but now the ground is wet and soft, here they come again!
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I have a chum here who works as a mole catcher. He's tried every method possible over the last 20 years and the only thing that he think works is traps and a quick bash on the bonce with a spade.

Interestingly, on a living in France forum this topic caused a real issue with people saying 'so what, they're moles and they have a right to be here also'.
                  TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

We use to have a problem with moles that is until my cat took a shine to them, fortunately we have not had any problems since!

Comment

Never had a mole problem - but we are plagued with neighbours' cats! You pays yer money! There's always something to try your patience!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X