Sweetcorn Smut??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweetcorn Smut??

The other week I was fiddling in my pot that I am growing 4 baby sweetcorn plants in, and there was this very odd white-ish ball of something in the soil. Wearing gloves I got it out of the soil with the weeds I was picking, but I was a bit alarmed as to what it was and put it to one side. I think it has since ended up in the outdoor bin so I cant show a picture.

It was a bit like a soft boiled egg, maybe a bit smaller. I am trying to recall what I grew in the pot last year - I think it was tomatoes but cant be sure..... If a tomato had fallen in to the soil and rotted, it wouldnt be white now would it?

I've just come across something called sweetcorn smut in a book....is it possible it was this? My sweetcorn look healthy so I dont think they are affected, but is there anything I need to do?

I think you are reading too much. It's a bit like reading one of the medical encylopaedias, if you read enough you can convince yourself that you have any terrible disease

Comment

not possible, it grows above the ground and on points of injury on the plant, mostly on the ears.
      it was probably a fungus called witches egg/stinkhorn

Comment

Is it dangerous? (I should at this point add I have OCD tendencies - so yes I read something and immediately think the worst! ). Thank you.

Comment

I won't spoil the surprise if you google it......

Comment

Edible??? Yuk!!
            Last edited by Helgalush; 18-06-2011, 08:56 PM.

Comment

could possibly just have bee a fungal growth similar to a mushroom or a puffball.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X