X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a brilliant idea!

I'll let you off!
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
      What a brilliant idea!

I'll let you off!
      Jinny has 8 collars...all safety ones...he even has a dicky bow one .

Comment

Nutter!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Nutter!
          Yup, I know. I'm a big softy when it comes to my little furry friend

Comment

Noooooo - don't put collars on Cats, they have a tendency to hang themselves
            You can buy safe collars now: Kitty Collars: Safe Cat Collars UK - Cat Safety Cat Collars UK

I don't like to see any animal injured, but I'd rather the cat population was reduced than the wildlife one. We have a big white cat stalking our garden every day, we chase it and chase it and it keeps coming back to terrorise our birds
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 09-06-2011, 07:16 AM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Around here they catch and neuter/spay feral cats, so in the long run there's not as many. I heard on the radio last week that there going to cull magpies because of the amount of baby birds they kill...not always to eat. Where's it all going to stop...are they going to cull cuckoos for kicking the eggs and baby birds out of the nest??

Comment

Cuckoos have been in sharp decline in the UK over the last 20 years, whereas the Magpie population has exploded over a similar time. Unfortunately, they don't cancel each other out. At their peak there weren't a lot of Cuckoos to begin with and the damage they did was to a handful of species and was minor. Magpies however are indiscriminate and simply see eggs and chicks as a viable food source. Just like cats it's in their nature and, just like cats, they've become a major problem for our songbird population!

Comment

Originally posted by Hillwalker View Post
                  Cuckoos have been in sharp decline in the UK over the last 20 years, whereas the Magpie population has exploded over a similar time. Unfortunately, they don't cancel each other out. At their peak there weren't a lot of Cuckoos to begin with and the damage they did was to a handful of species and was minor. Magpies however are indiscriminate and simply see eggs and chicks as a viable food source. Just like cats it's in their nature and, just like cats, they've become a major problem for our songbird population!
                  I'm quite aware of the decline in cuckoos. I was using cuckoos as an example, but they do still cause damage to "a handful of species" whether we like it or not.
                  I'm also aware of the problem & damage that magpies cause, as you say it's in there nature, but I suppose it's the disagree/agree debate that no one will ever really agree on.

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
                    That's why responsible owners put at least 2 bells on there cat's collars, that way the birds are warned. Jinny has 2 bells on his collar and I don't let him out on a night when the birds are roosting.
                    I'm with you. My three cats have at least 4 bells on their collars and the one that in the past has been the worst for catching wildlife has some very large bells on so that you can hear him coming from a mile away (and I keep the cats in at night whilst the birds are roosting as well. I love my cats but I also love the wildlife (except mice) so like you I try to keep damage done by my cats to a minimum (no kills by my cats this year so far as far as I know)).

Back to the original question. My cats do keep the neighbours cats away from my garden. Unfortunately
                    they also have a tendency to poop in my garden whilst at the same time trying to dig to China. Whilst it still as frustrating as when other peoples cats were doing it, at least now I only have myself to blame.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X