No announcement yet.

A cat to deter other cats the best way?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cat to deter other cats the best way?

we have 5 cats from our neighbours that think our garden is for them to use as a toilet and devour birds in. I've tried putting down chilli powder but it hasn't been a long term solution so should I get a cat of our own?

For me it would purely be as a deterrent as cats don't really do anything for me but my wife used to have one and loves them so it would be looked after and not just slave driven to patrol the veg patch

How effective are they? Will one be enough to mark our garden as its own against 5 others? I've no idea how marking territory works :/

Finally how would i stop my own from using the veg patch for his business?
    www.gyoblog.co.uk

I'd be shovelling the cat poo up and chucking it over the neighbours.

5 of them? Man I feel sorry for you. I've read about it too, my neighbours say it works but dont have any first hand experience of it.

Comment

It may or may not keep others out of your garden (one of my two cats has that effect on five assorted neighbours' cats), but to be honest your own cat is just as likely as the other cats to use the freshly dug beds in your garden. I know mine do from time to time (sometimes while I'm still digging!)

Comment

Doesn't work. The cats are scared of the other cats and they, and the neighbours cats all do it in the beds.

Comment

We have a cat but our next door neighbours cat keeps inviting herself round (to play?) Our cat is fiercely defending her territory but is a mass of cuts and scabs at the moment. Finally I had had enough of the fighting flattening the plants and our cat full of cuts, I turned the hose onto jet and gave the neighbour's cat a quick blast. The combination of noise and sudden cold wet seems to have done the trick as we haven't seen her for the last 5 days. Supersoakers are quite good too but a pressurewasher would probably be a bit extreme. And yes I do like cats!

Comment

Buy a dog. It will keep them on distance...

Comment

Jinnys VERY territorial & keep ALL the other cat's in our neighbourhood out of my garden. He likes nothing more than one to chance it's paw in the garden...fur everywhere when he's done. Big chicken treats from me to say thanks.
              I feel for you having 5 cat's dumping in ya garden, have you tried saying something to the owners?

Comment

It has worked for us and although our cats do use the beds when empty, the volume is hugely reduced now the other million local cats are going elsewhere. Almost every house round here has a minimum of 1 cat but more often a lot more so it was a real problem before.
                All our cats arrived as kittens and as older cats tend to leave young ones alone it gave them a chance to establish their territory without any fighting being required.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend it. Even if it did work yours will create the same problem with your neighbours that you're having and will also probably contribute further to your own woes. That, as well as yet more local wildlife to be killed for no reason. The amount an average cat kills in a year is staggering!

Comment

Originally posted by Hillwalker View Post
                    more local wildlife to be killed for no reason. The amount an average cat kills in a year is staggering!
                    That's why responsible owners put at least 2 bells on there cat's collars, that way the birds are warned. Jinny has 2 bells on his collar and I don't let him out on a night when the birds are roosting.

Comment

Noooooo - don't put collars on Cats, they have a tendency to hang themselves in trees - not a nice way to go!

Super-Soaker is a good bet!
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
                        That's why responsible owners put at least 2 bells on there cat's collars, that way the birds are warned.
                        If only all cat owners were as responsible.

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
                        ...and I don't let him out on a night when the birds are roosting.
                        That'd be every night then.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                          Noooooo - don't put collars on Cats, they have a tendency to hang themselves in trees - not a nice way to go!

Not aware of such a problem. If it did exist, they'd be a lot easier to hit with the Super Soaker!

Comment

You can buy collars with break-open clasps -I hate to see cats without collars and bells- they kill 100 million birds and small mammals a year. I'm not very popular with my neighbours as every time their cats come into the garden I get them with the hose or chase them out!

I have a pigeon sat under my hedge right now with a broken wing due one of next door's cats, who do not have bells - not amused

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post

Tut Tut...as if I'd ever put my little lad in danger. Have you not heard of quick realise safety collars G4, there great. Here...have a look. I'd never tell anyone to put a buckle collar on a cat... horrible things they are.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X