Peacock problems

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peacock problems

Last year, a neighbour bought peacocks that absolutely decimated my fruit and veg patch, in my garden. They ate every berry on every bush (overnight!) and crushed and dug up my potato plants, leaving only enough for a six week supply. Vegetables stuck in my greenhouse for safety overheated and died because I couldn't air it without opening the door...and the peacocks just non-chalently wandered in and helped themselves. They literally sit on the neighbour's wall and wait for me to turn my back.

The owners won't do a solitary thing to control them (just lets them roam everywhere).
    Are there any bye-laws in Britain that might be effective in helping me?

Resisting the urge to poison them or get an air rifle out is admirable Debbi. Id be livid!!!

Unfortunatly I am unsure of where you stand with the law however your local council would be able to explain your rights further (possibly even asking for information at your local police department)

Is there no way you can crudely erect a makeshift net fence? Even if its just posts and pea and bean net at the top of the wall to act as a barrier??
    Serene she stand amid the flowers,
    And only count lifes sunny hours,
    For her dull days do not exist,
    Evermore the optimist

Comment

I'd setup a trap, trap it and wait until they came around - say that you are aware of vermit/ a pest and you wanted to trap them. Keep doing it - I'm sure they'll tire of it.

Or as above, put a mesh fence higher up over the wall your side.

Comment

Originally posted by debbie henri View Post
        Are there any bye-laws in Britain that might be effective in helping me?
        I've had a look on google and found this info :-

East Northamptonshire Council - Peacocks and the Law | Keeping Peafowl (Peacocks)

hope it helps.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

You really do have my sympathy debbie.
          We 'aquired' a male peacock late last Spring.
          He flew over from a local farm ( new tenants taking over and looking after hens,geese, ducks,dogs and land left by the owners.)
          They too had dogs and I think it was just too much for Albert- and as we have chooks we were the nearest suitable place to take up new residence.
          9 of us over several days tried to trap/catch/lure him to take him back- but just no chance at all.
          He can leap over a 5bar gate and fly up on top of the house/cherry tree from a standstill.
          He eats everything he can fit in his mouth.
          2009 we had 40 pots of blackberry jam from our garden- last year it was just 6. No strawberries at all, nor lettuce,spinach..I could go on...and on...and on...

To be honest we've just had to accept he's going to stay. A few peeps have offered to shoot him for us but we've decided we'll 'put up' with him and his faults.
          Netting etc is the way we have gone. No point putting up normal fencing cos he'll just hop over it.

Debbie-we only have one munching it's way through our crops- I can imagine how you feel.

That link is brill.... Follow it through and complain
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Did you take piccies of the damage?
            Have to say we're dreading what he's going to do this year.
            You sort of lose the country garden look of a pretty veg patch when it's covered in netting etc don't you??

Comment

That's disgusting. Do your neighbours not care about the damage there birds are causing to your property? Have you tried the Environmental Health people, they are really good in these kind of cases. You need to take photos of the damage they have done/do, the mess they cause and keep a record of what happens when you complain to your neighbour. If at all get witnesses to there attitude to wards what THERE birds are doing. I'd even be tempted to go to the Dr's and tell them it's getting you down. Ring the environmental people and get then to visit your home so they can see the damage that these very big birds are causing to your garden. I'm sure when your neighbour gets a letter/visit from them they'll have to do something about the birds. Have a look at this link...hope you can get help with these birds.

http://www.southglos.gov.uk/NR/rdonl.../COS070025.pdf

Comment

Can you eat peacock? Fatten him up for xmas I say

edit: then you can run around pretending to be 'injuns' with those tail feathers in your hair!!!
                Last edited by chris; 05-04-2011, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Yes- you can eat them- they are a relative of the pheasant.
                  Quite tasty I understand!
                  Problem is that they live for 50 yrs or so- so the meat could be quite tough.....

Comment

I'd "accidently" plant several poisonous plants... that'll teach the beast!

Oooft I sound heartless - but my garden/lottie is my Utopia..... Vengeance to all who destrooy it! LOL
                    Serene she stand amid the flowers,
                    And only count lifes sunny hours,
                    For her dull days do not exist,
                    Evermore the optimist

Comment

Have they realised yet what fun tap dancing on your car can be????

...that'd be a nice insurance claim for them to have to keep paying out for! ( how much does a respray cost these days????)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X