What is a slug's favourite food?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a slug's favourite food?

No joke here, I'm afraid... feel free to post your own punchlines though.

I'm thinking sacrificial/decoy planting.
    Is there one food (veg, herb, flower etc) that slugs will slither past everything else to get to?

I'd love to bung in a few things to let the slimy ones gorge themselves on so I don't need to lose sleep over my fast vanishig salads, herbs, seedlings and fruit... if there is such a wonder-plant.

Even a proper "crop" like basil or something would do. Whatever they favour, I'll grow in abundance, eating whatever survives the slugs myself.
    Last edited by BigShot; 28-03-2011, 11:45 PM. Reason: typos

Leaving rhubarb leaves on the ground once you've removed the stem- and they'll go and hide underneath them.....then feed them to your chooks!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

They love slug pellets. If it must be a sacrifice plant, I've seen a tray of young french marigold plants all decapitated in a single night, though I'm not sure feeding slugs is a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
        Leaving rhubarb leaves on the ground once you've removed the stem- and they'll go and hide underneath them.....then feed them to your chooks!
        Wanna lend me some chooks? Just out of info, prince Charles has ducks wandering about in the gardens of his house "Birkhall" up on Deeside. he also has a wonderful collection of hostas with not a slug mark on them. Mind, the hostas are mulched with a thick layer of composted bark so that may be the secret.

Hostas must rank among the fav food of slugs.

Comment

anything in my allotment seems to be the slugs favourite grrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by rana View Post
            I'm not sure feeding slugs is a good idea.
            I'm with you on that. The more you feed, the more they breed - same with rats, pigeons and seagulls
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

buy cheap beers from supermarket place in shallow dish , the slugs go for the yeast , get drunk and drownd , what a way to go , yippee yippee

Comment

Comfry is a good deterant for slugs take half a dozen leaves and lay around the base of your plant - do the same with the others and they will eat the comfry before the eat anything else - tried and tested with great results - alternatively you could lay down oats which causes them to swell and they die.

Comment

Use Comfry about 5-6 leaves around your produce works for us or use oats which cause the slugs/snails to swell and die.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse
                  • greenishfing
                    Reply to Chitchat thread #24
                    by greenishfing
                    Today, 09:42 AM
                  • Vince G
                    Ginger
                    by Vince G
                    Anyone ever tried growing their own ginger?

I'm having a go and have followed an instructional video on YouTube about it. I picked a lump of root out of the supermarket with "eyes" on it, little buds that then expand and burst to form the long stemmed leaves.

Not...
                    Today, 09:28 AM
                  • bramble
                    Reply to Chitchat thread #24
                    by bramble
                    Today, 09:25 AM

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X