Ginger

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginger

Anyone ever tried growing their own ginger?

I'm having a go and have followed an instructional video on YouTube about it. I picked a lump of root out of the supermarket with "eyes" on it, little buds that then expand and burst to form the long stemmed leaves.

Not a lot seemed to be happening after 2 weeks, but I tipped the 2 pieces out of their pots and found that the buds were expanding so re-potted them so the actual rhizome is only just below the surface. Pic attached where you can see the buds have swollen, especially the one in the pot at the back, so looks promising.

However when I tipped the pots out, there seemed to be absolutely no roots coming out of each of the pieces of ginger. Hence was wondering if anyone else had any experience of growing ginger.
    Are y'oroight booy?

I have only grown ornamental ginger.
    I have rhizomes over a foot long on the surface!
    Compost looks a bit wet.
    Culinary ginger needs 20C+. Is yours warm enough?
    Last edited by DannyK; 30-04-2024, 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling!
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I am not sure if the roots come from the stems like spuds or like irises from the tuba.
      I did try a bit when I lived in a flat and felt that I could not give it enough heat or light to make it worth the trouble.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I shall put the pots on my little heated propogator tray, might help to encourage rooting
        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I grew it once before. Getting it to sprout and produce leaves is easy enough. I didn't get a worthwhile crop from it, though. It needs far more warmth and a far longer summer.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
            I grew it once before. Getting it to sprout and produce leaves is easy enough. I didn't get a worthwhile crop from it, though. It needs far more warmth and a far longer summer.
            Only really doing it for the challenge of it, but once it begins to get itself established it will go in a much larger pot in the polytunnel with a little bit of shade.

If I avoid blight and low temperatures I'm usually picking tomatoes well into November from the polytunnel, so it should have a long hot summer in there. We shall see!
            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X