Rabbits...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nordmead View Post
    I gotta get me one of those the one i use is only a spring loaded .22 with a standard scope, what make/model is it?

Well, considering it's my nans garden i don't think she'd mind if i got a few rabbits for the pot
    Before you set your heart on a rig like that, you'll need to find about £1.5k.

The gun is a Weihrauch HW100S (I actually recommend the newer HW100TK variant).
    The 'scope is a Yukon NVRS-F nightvision scope, doubler lens for the nightvision scope (increases magnification), additional infrared illuminator (allows longer detection range).
    The gun is fitted with a Harris tilt-model bipod.

You'll also need a special pump or divers-tank-compressor capable of charging the gun's air reservoir to 3000PSI / 200BAR (the extremely high-pressure air is the projectile propellant, instead of an explosive charge).
    Ever seen the film "Jaws" when he blows the shark's head off with the pressure in the divers bottles that the shark has swallowed?
    The gun's 30cm long by 3cm wide air tank under the barrel is holding 35 litres of highly-compressed air!

Comment

I want! I want!

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
        I want! I want!
        If you were closer, you'd be welcome to join me on one of the smallholdings that I clear of rabbits.

....and if someone not too far from Cambridge needs some rabbits/rats/squirrels or other small vermin clearing, I may be able to help (at no cost). I also know some good blokes - with similar equipment - in other parts of the country, who will also do pest control for free.

Comment

Do you eat them after, btw?

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
            Do you eat them after, btw?
            Much of what I shoot gets eaten - often by friends; I sometimes drop off a bag or two of rabbits for them, on my way home.
            The ultimate "free range" "organic" - and "humanely dispatched".

Comment

I recommend Daystate Hunstman - I am using it - clean kills, one pellet. It is cheaper than Weihrauch - abot £700 and in my opinion it looks nicer (more "classic" look) but it is matter of personal taste.

Btw: I am happy to help anybody to clear allotment from rabbits, if you leave near Stoke-On-Trent
              Last edited by Marc; 07-02-2011, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Ah, if we want to go cheap, I'd suggest a single-shot BSA Ultra - they're under £400 new and under £300 secondhand.
                But, in life, you get what you pay for; the HW costs more because it is built to higher tolerances and has the pressure-regulating piston that meters the same volume of air per shot, whereas the Huntsman has a simple knock-open valve with the consequent side-effect of the power curve.
                Much as it pains me to say it; the Germans - including Weihrauch - really know how to engineer stuff for smooth, reliable precision; their whole economy is built on engineering.

Comment

Cheap, eh? :P

I am not saying Germans don't know how to build guns. They have shown they do quite a few times in their history.
                  What I am saying is that I do not see any difference between rabbit shot from £700 rifle to £1400 rifle And the look of this HW not really up to my taste.

Comment

How much for a decent nightvision scope? i use my uncles webley eclipse

Comment

Originally posted by Nordmead View Post
                      How much for a decent nightvision scope? i use my uncles webley eclipse
                      You can pick them up for about £400 new (£250 s/h), but that's a very basic model with only low magnification and often won't focus at airgun ranges.
                      About £500-£600 would get an airgun-suitable nightvision scope.
                      However, NV scopes are not recommended for spring-powered airguns because of their uniqure two-way recoil which will damage the electronics.
                      Amazingly, due to the type of recoil, spring airguns are more likely to damage a scope than a high-powered powder-burner.

Here are a few links:

> Uttings <

> NV Scopes <

> NV Supplies <

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X