Rabbits...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rabbits...

so i went to check up on my strawberry plants today and it seems that the rabbits have eaten nearly every single leaf off them (will they survive?).. i thought about putting netting up but surely they'd just dig under it? so i was wondering how to stop them from coming back, especially for when i get the rest of the veg in the plot (i imagine the brassicas wont stand a chance).. i heard about chilli powder mixed with water but does it need to be applied every day for the whole season or what?

Chicken wire buried partly into the ground seems the only sure fire way.
    Never heard of the chilli idea but if it works report back! I imagine you'll have to apply often and esp after rain. Maybe a sprayer of it kept at the plot? Chilli is supposed to be one of those unexpectedly nice flavours with strawberries isn't it?
    Last edited by vicky; 04-01-2011, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Not even necessary to bury the wire, simply fold the bottom so that there is about a foot of wire flat on the ground to the outside of the strawberry patch. The strawberry plants should be ok if it is only the leaves that have been eaten. Best to cut them virtually all the way back after fruiting anyway. If the crowns are still there, it should be ok.

Comment

I was once told that sticks wound with string soaked in creosote (as a fence) would keep rabbits away.Presumably it would cats away too.

Comment

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
          I was once told that sticks wound with string soaked in creosote (as a fence) would keep rabbits away.Presumably it would cats away too.
          If you are going to use something smelly, use something really smelly. There used to be a substance called renadine or reynardine or something like that. Goodness it was strong and effective

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
            Not even necessary to bury the wire, simply fold the bottom so that there is about a foot of wire flat on the ground to the outside of the strawberry patch.
            couldnt they easily go under it?

Comment

I would say ask some friendly airgunner for help and enjoy the stew

Comment

well.. i did think about this but dont they come out at night? might be a bit difficult to see them

Comment

Originally posted by Nordmead View Post
                  well.. i did think about this but dont they come out at night? might be a bit difficult to see them
                  In an enclosed space ferrets would perhaps be safer ! (Assuming allotment or garden)

Comment

couldnt they easily go under it?

They could then become a nice pie
                    Help Wildlife.
                    Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

chicken or rabbit wire buried at least twelve inches,or folded and pegged flat outwards so when they come to scratch a hole they dont get anywhere and give up hopefully,same advice was in gyo mag couple mths ago. By the way where's the cheapest place down south to get wire.!

Comment

There are special flash lighs, placed on barrels. I just had spicy rabbit with rice a few days ago, delicious.

Comment

Nightvision is the answer.

This bad boy is one of my anti-small-vermin "tools", for use in complete darkness - the darker the better.
                          I control vermin for myself and some small farmers/smallholders.
                          It is a precharged pneumatic air rifle, with 14-shot revolving magazine, fitted with a silencer, a nightvision telescopic sight (infrared~700nm) and a bipod.
                          The rabbits have no idea what's waiting for them in the darkness.
                          But there are strict laws on their usage - you need the land owner's permission for starters.

Last edited by FB.; 28-01-2011, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I must have tried all the supposed solutions to rabbits. To be honest, none of them seem to work. Chilli powder will work on one rabbit, and then the next one ignores it. They will burrow under netting - yes. Also remember that even flowers, shrubs and trees supposed to be off the rabbit menu are all subject to regional variation.
                            I'm now building a fruit cage out of sheer desperation, since my plot is under attack from rabbits, deer, peacocks, chickens, and just about everything else armed with beaks and teeth. I propose that if you want to keep rabbits out permanently, you will have to build some sort of enclosure from wire netting. The base of the net should be buried deep into the earth (I'm digging 3ft down - Scottish rabbits are determined) and make sure the netting stands at least 3.5ft above ground, since rabbits can jump surprisingly high (I've heard of them clearing 6ft fences, but have never seen it). Sorry I can't be more helpful, but take it from me, rabbits do get used to powders, potions, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
                              Nightvision is the answer.

This bad boy is one of my anti-small-vermin "tools", for use in complete darkness - the darker the better.
                              I control vermin for myself and some small farmers/smallholders.
                              It is a precharged pneumatic air rifle, with 14-shot revolving magazine, fitted with a silencer, a nightvision telescopic sight (infrared~700nm) and a bipod.
                              The rabbits have no idea what's waiting for them in the darkness.
                              But there are strict laws on their usage - you need the land owner's permission for starters.

I gotta get me one of those the one i use is only a spring loaded .22 with a standard scope, what make/model is it?

Well, considering it's my nans garden i don't think she'd mind if i got a few rabbits for the pot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X