176 slugs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 176 slugs

Last night I went out in the garden to hunt slugs (with torch on my head, how mad did I look?).

I salted 176 of the pandiculating* little s0ds: many of them were copulating too. Yuk

No. 138 was actually munching one of the little seedlings I'd only just planted a few hours before, so he got an extra dose of salt

* they were definitely stretching, and I swear some were yawning too
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 31-10-2009, 08:54 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Nice use of salt and the word pandiculating TS!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Well, we can't have it in our own food.....apparently, so you have to find a use for it somewhere, salt and shake slugs ....sounds good to me T.S.

Comment

A bit cruel though! Sharp knife and slice them in half, kills them double quick.
        My 2014 No Dig Allotment
        My 2013 No Dig Allotment
        My 2012 No Dig Allotment
        My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

WOW! Since getting my girls I go round collecting them, and then feed them to the girls in the morning - they love them! I never thought I'd say that I like finding slugs, but since getting my chooks, I don't mind.
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Do you ever get down this way DDL?
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazgaot View Post
              Sharp knife and slice them in half, kills them double quick.
              That would entail putting them all on a cutting board - 176?
              Salt is the quickest and easiest way to deal with them, and there's no chance of a hedgehog or blackbird scoffing the body either, like they can do with pelleted ones

Comment

I'm a bit tight and won't waste salt on slugs, so instead I've got a special slug knife.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Nothing to do with slugs but LOVING the avatar twosheds!

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                    I'm a bit tight and won't waste salt on slugs, so instead I've got a special slug knife.

I want one! I want one! what's special about it? or is it just that you keep it only for slug-chopping?

I hate slugs. Huge amount of rain just now means the little ****s will be slithering up the garden towards me as I write. AGHGHHGH

Reb

Comment

If you know an angler they may be happy to take them off your hands - carp love them!
                      Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                      So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                        WOW! Since getting my girls I go round collecting them, and then feed them to the girls in the morning - they love them! I never thought I'd say that I like finding slugs, but since getting my chooks, I don't mind.
                        Do your girls like them salted first?

Comment

Originally posted by Reb Williams View Post
                          I want one! I want one! what's special about it? or is it just that you keep it only for slug-chopping?
                          Reb its got special slug killing powers

just fibbing its a knife I wouldn't like to use for anything else after I've chopped slugs with it.
                          Last edited by Bren In Pots; 01-11-2009, 03:51 PM. Reason: typo
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Well, our Scottish slugs must be extra tough. As I've said before, when I've chopped them in two, one half slithers away, probably swearing at me in Glaswegian on the way.

I've done the beer traps (note to self and anyone who's interested - cheap own brand 2% lager does not do the trick, even if it does earn you some funny looks from the till assistant) but I've never tried to salt. I'm scared to. What exactly does happen chemically when you salt a slug? I have visions of a minor explosion and me being splatted with goo.

Caro
                            Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Originally posted by Caro View Post
                              What exactly does happen chemically when you salt a slug?
                              Chemically? Dunno.*
                              Physically, they dissolve/melt. Then if the sun comes out they go all hard and you can gather up the bodies for the compost heap

* I do now, cause I googled: http://www.slugoff.co.uk/slug-facts/salt.html
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 01-11-2009, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X