Strawberry whitefly

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry whitefly

I have what was, and still looks like a very healthy strawberry bed. But this week as I trimed off some runners, whitefly flys off some of the 15 plants.

I had cut the strawberry leaves back earlier in the year after fruiting, cleared away the straw and kept the area weed free. However at one end of the bed, about 2 foot away, I have a bed of brussels sprouts which has cabbage whitefly.

Just remembered that 5 strawberry pots at the other end of the bed, next to the pond also had whitefly, so at the mo the centre of the bed is less affected.

I know you can use a water spray each day, but I'm not able to visit the plot daily at the mo. I also don't want to use a chemical spray, which I might have to only do the once. I do have some french marigolds growing in another bed and could try transferring some of them, but as the whitefly are already there, I not sure that it would be that successful at this stage.

So as it's late in the season does it matter? As in will they just be killed off in winter or will they damaged/weaken the plants? At the moment the strawberry leaves are still clean and healthy. Would it help if I cut the leaves back again or is it too late in the season?

Originally posted by Dottie View Post
    will they just be killed off in winter or will they damaged/weaken the plants?
    No, winter doesn't kill them ... they tuck down in the foliage and stay cosy.
    Severe whitefly infestation is a problem ... they multiply fast and can introduce viruses and sooty mould to your plants.
    Good hygiene is important: clear away all yellowing and dying leaves.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Good hygiene is important: clear away all yellowing and dying leaves.[/QUOTE]

Well that's the thing, that bed is totally clean, weed free and has no yellow or dying leaves. It was only because I saw a few new runners trying to pop out, that I then disturbed the whitefly.

Seems highly lightly that the whitefly have moved on from the brassica bed, hopefully as it's only recent invasion I might be able to get rid .

I think there is some yellow insect strip you can position at the end of the bed, I'll have to look into that.

Comment

I think there is some yellow insect strip you can position at the end of the bed, I'll have to look into that.
        You might be more successful if you wave the strip over the plants and catch the clouds of whitefly as they are disturbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          You might be more successful if you wave the strip over the plants and catch the clouds of whitefly as they are disturbed.
          Now that sounds like a very good idea and I do love instant results. Just now need to find out what the yellow strip is and where to buy it. Probably have to go off to a garden centre, as I don't think Wilko's will stock it.

But I suppose while I still have whitefly on me brassica's, then they are still going to invade my strawberry bed?

Comment

strawberry whitefly update

Called into pick your own strawberry garden centre this week, and they said the best thing is to cut off the leaves, just leaving a few new shoots. That way the whitefly won't have anything to live off and move on/back to another plot. Once cut back, give a quick spray and in the spring apply a fungus spray.

As I had brussels sprouts a couple of feet away, they also suggested I pull off all the leaves and just keep the head. Again reducing the area for whitefly to feed and live.

So on Saturday all the leaves were cut off, hosed down all the plants and surrounding area to get rid of remaining whitefly. Then as there was only a little foilage left to tend to, I was able to quickly spray the plants. I shall return in a few days for a further spray, but it so quick and easy now there is so little foilage to deal with.

Job done and so simply, just how gardening should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Good hygiene is important: clear away all yellowing and dying leaves.
              Called into pick your own strawberry garden centre this week, and they said the best thing is to cut off the leaves, just leaving a few new shoots. That way the whitefly won't have anything to live off
              That's what I was trying to say ... I should have put "cut off all the old leaves"

You should do this with strawbs during the autumn clean up anyway, along with removing any runners.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X