Bindweed - horrid stuff!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bindweed - horrid stuff!

Hi, I bought my house 10 months ago and the first job I had done (for an absolutely HUGE amount of money) was the garden. I had 10 raised beds put in for vegetables, with paving slabs all round. I have a bad back so this was the best option for me. The person who lived here before me didn't bother with the garden at all and, as time has gone on, I'm finding masses of bindweed appearing everywhere. It's in the raised beds (which are 2 sleepers on their sides high!), in the greenhouse I've had put in, in the fruit bed, just everywhere. The garden is 100 feet long and 30 feet wide and, I kid you not, the bindweed is all over. I'm an organic gardener and don't know how to get rid of the wretched stuff. When you dig it up, it's so deep you just can't get all the root. If I keep digging and pulling it up, will it eventually give up or is there something else I can do? HELP! PLEEEASE!!

Really not much more you can do as you dont want to use chemicals, just keep pulling.

Comment

I've just had some pop up too. Didn't recognise it as bindweed until it has now flowered.

As far as I know (which isn't much at all), it's a dig and pull job.
      Singleton Allotments Society
      Ashford Gardeners - A gardening club (and so much more) for the greenfingered of Ashford and surrounding areas. Non-Ashfordites welcome .

Comment

Still digging up and pulling 10 years on!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

We get it from next door, and their brambles. The best you can do without weedkiller is to keep pulling it out and keep it at bay.
          Urban Escape Blog

Comment

I can only sympathis. Bindweed was put on earth to try us. How to deal with bindweed - the real gardening calendar | The Ciderhouse Glyphosate (Roundup) is not as bad as you may fear. I have still not gone down that route but if all else fails...
            Cider, Vegetables and Sussex sustainability blogged at www.ciderhousepress.com

Comment

I've been pulling it out of my garden for years now - in some parts I've given up - the flowers are pretty!!
              Life is too short for drama & petty things!
              So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Most of mine creeps through from my next-door neighbour's. His back garden is about as overgrown as you can get.
                I'd love to napalm his garden just to kill off half the bindweed and brambles that I have to pull up on a regular basis.
                Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                Snadger - Director of Poetry
                RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Roundup doesn't work any better than handpulling.
                  I sprayed a patch of nettle, bramble & bindweed last year, repeatedly ... and it is all growing back from the roots.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    Roundup doesn't work any better than handpulling.
                    I sprayed a patch of nettle, bramble & bindweed last year, repeatedly ... and it is all growing back from the roots.
                    i'd disagree with that; while glyphosate isn't a permanent solution, it's a lot more effective and a lot less effort than hand pulling. and, while it never gets rid of all of it, it makes it a lot weaker, over time.

tip is to use one of the branded versions - the bayer generic stuff doesn't have the surfactants in it that the brand ones do, and so it's a lot less effective.

of course, it's hardly organic. we inherited a patch of scrubland, and constant glyphosate seems to be the only way to keep it under control.
                    Last edited by ishmael; 08-07-2009, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by craftygirl24 View Post
                      Hi, I bought my house 10 months ago and the first job I had done (for an absolutely HUGE amount of money) was the garden. I had 10 raised beds put in for vegetables, with paving slabs all round. I have a bad back so this was the best option for me. The person who lived here before me didn't bother with the garden at all and, as time has gone on, I'm finding masses of bindweed appearing everywhere. It's in the raised beds (which are 2 sleepers on their sides high!), in the greenhouse I've had put in, in the fruit bed, just everywhere. The garden is 100 feet long and 30 feet wide and, I kid you not, the bindweed is all over. I'm an organic gardener and don't know how to get rid of the wretched stuff. When you dig it up, it's so deep you just can't get all the root. If I keep digging and pulling it up, will it eventually give up or is there something else I can do? HELP! PLEEEASE!!
                      it will never give up. if you don't want to use chemicals then burn it all off as soon as it starts to show through the ground. pulling up breaks up the roots, and just makes it sprout more. burning off three or four times a year seemed to keep it down to nuisance level, for me, rather than a total disaster. i'm on to tumbleweed, now though.

Comment

I've squirted it and pulled it (not at the same time of course!) and it's still coming up.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Its does have one use - killing my neighbours conifers!!!!
                          Karen

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
                          Even a journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step!

Comment

Thank you for all your answers. I'm depressed now! But hey, my neighbour and I are combining our efforts to get rid of as much as we can.

Comment

You have to dig it out .... and be very gentle with it to make sure you have it all out......

THEN...JUMP ALL OVER IT WITH HOBNAILED BOOTS...SMASH IT WITH A HAMMER...AND WHEN YOU HAVE FINISHED HAVING FUN....LIGHT THE BAR BEE WITH IT TO MAKE SURE IT GONE.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X