Broad Beans double hit.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broad Beans double hit.

I have a raised bed in which I have 50/50 carrots/broadbeans (with one line of onion). Like last year my braod beans have been hit by black fly. But a much wose attack this year. They also have rust on their leaves. Doesn't look like they are going to produce anything this year. So I'm going to rip the plants out. Question is can I put something straight in their place. (e.g. sweetcorn from pots in the greenhouse) or would I need to treat the ground first to get rid of the rust?

have you got room for sweetcorn? It's best planted in a block rather than a row usually 4 x 4 plants otherwise it doesn't pollinate well

Comment

I'd blast off the blackfly with a hose (several times), nip out the growing tips, and give them a chance. Rust doesn't affect the crop.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

It is rare for rust to be fatal to plants and I don't even try to eradicate it. When it appears on the garlic I just remove the worst of the infected leaves and allow the plant to carry on growing. With broad beans it is usually only the leaves that are affected and they will usually still give a good crop of beans.

Ian

Comment

Thanks for the replies... My broad beans have already flowered and then nothing... that makes me think there will be nothing to harvest. Hence ripping them out and trying something that will hopefully give me something. I ripped the tips off a while ago but I think it was too late by then.

cheers

Peter

Comment

I had a severe black fly attack when I first grew French Climbing Beans. A tip I received was to recycle your washing up water and water the roots with it. I guess the detergent is drawn up by the beans and it worked absolute miracles for me and I was very virtuous on account of not wasting water!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Olding View Post
              Thanks for the replies... My broad beans have already flowered and then nothing.
              I'd be very surprised if you get nothing. Have you been patient enough? It takes a few weeks between flower and bean

Next year, try sowing them earlier in the year. The plants will then be tougher and better able to withstand an aphid attack.

I've not had any blackfly this year to speak of (yet!) - my plants went in the ground in March.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                I'd be very surprised if you get nothing. Have you been patient enough? It takes a few weeks between flower and bean
                Seconded! Last year (first year with beans) I was really frustrated - lots flowers but no beans - then suddenly there they were!
                Give it a couple weeks before you dig up...
                S

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X