• taff
    replied
    nope, it's blight.
    bugger.

Leave a comment:

• taff
    replied
    Thanks Sarz
    I had a panic attack and pulled up three plants, and de-leafed a third, then partly de-leafed most of the tomatoes in the bed at the other end of the garden.
    I defnitely over-crowded them in the bed that the affected plants were in, so hopefully it isn't blight...will go and check again when I'm dressed...

Leave a comment:

• SarzWix
    replied
    Either/or taff, chopping off the leaves is the way to go, better airflow will help to keep botrytis at bay. Not sure if tomatillos can get blight? but they can definitely suffer with botrytis.

Leave a comment:

• taff
    replied
    may have been hasty, it may be botrytis...

Leave a comment:

• taff
    replied
    I have blight in one bed of tomatoes so far. Does anyone know if tomatillos get it? They're in the same bed....

Leave a comment:

• BB48
    replied
    green tomato wine??? sounds interesting - tell me more.

Leave a comment:

• pdblake
    replied
    Originally posted by rustylady View Post
    What a shame!! I've given up growing tomatoes outdoors for that very reason. If the green tomatoes look OK you can make green tomato chutney with them
    And green tomato wine is great I often pray for enough green toms to make chutney and wine with
    Last edited by pdblake; 24-07-2009, 10:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zazen999
    replied
    I am hedging my bets; growing in greenhouse, garden and lottie and also have sprayed the lottie ones as these got it worse last year. I like being organic but I like having tomatoes better.

It's heartbreaking to put all that work in and lose the lot overnight. I do feel for you.
    Last edited by zazen999; 24-07-2009, 10:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BB48
    replied
    What a lovely bunch you all are. Thanks for the advice and symathy.
    BB

Leave a comment:

• rustylady
    replied
    Originally posted by BB48 View Post
    Just got back from lottie and I have BLIGHT. I had to pull up 5 tom plants that I was hoping to ues for tom sauce. No sign of it on Monday night.
    BB
    What a shame!! I've given up growing tomatoes outdoors for that very reason. If the green tomatoes look OK you can make green tomato chutney with them

Leave a comment:

• Gwyndy
    replied
    I have given up with outdoor tomatoes - the plants have always got blight. Greenhouse grown toms are always OK for me. (Fingers crossed!)

Potatoes - as advised by others - cut off the tops and burn them ASAP. Spuds will be OK if you are lucky but lift some and check.

Leave a comment:

• Burnzie
    replied
    Hi BB48, you are not alone.

I pulled a couple of very dodgy looking tomato plants tonight.

There will be lots more blight reports over the next couple of weeks, perfect conditions.

best of luck

Burnzie

Leave a comment:

• Hazel at the Hill
    replied
    Me too...

Yep - I pulled all my tommies up last night too.

It's the speed it comes on - I had a slighty suspect stem on one tomato on Saturday, and this is what all the tomatoes looked like last night - despite spraying with dithane on monday.

The spuds look dodgy too, so I've chopped all the haulms off and will leave the spuds in the ground for a couple of weeks so that I don't infect the tubers with blight spores.

As long as the stems of the spuds still look good and green & firm, they should be ok.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 23-07-2009, 09:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Alice
    replied
    What a bummer BB48.
    For your potatoes cut the tops off and lift the potatoes and save what you can of the crop.
    Tomatoes a bit more difficult. If you can harvest the tomatoes and eat them as quickly as you can - blight still develops in them in storage.
    For next year you can plant ridiculously early and hope to get your crop before Blight arrives - July is early
    Or you can spray your crops against blight
    Dithane is a chemical compound to spray against it
    Or Bordeau mix is considered to be organic.
    I'm so sorry you have had this disappointment.
    I go for early planting - a lot of extra work - and a prophylactic spray of Bordeau mix.
    Hope you can save something.

Leave a comment:

• piskieinboots
    replied
    cut the tops (that is to say, all the green haulms to the ground) off the spuds asap and burn the blighters (sorry ) you may save the spuds that way
    Last edited by piskieinboots; 23-07-2009, 09:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X