Friend or Foe?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend or Foe?

Couple of months ago I sowed some mixed wild flower seeds. Now I really need help on which of these to let be and which to pull out. I think one of them is cleavers. . . .

Last one. . . .

Comment

The third picture looks suspiciously like cleavers or goose grass or sticky willie. If you touch the leaves you should feel them 'stick' to you. It should put on a lot of growth very quickly at this time of year. When you weed it it normally snaps off just above ground and will regrow - so make sure you remove the whole of the plant.
      It has tiny white inconspicuous flowers, but hopefully you would have removed it before it gets to that stage as the seed heads that form are almost impossible to remove from clothes, animal fur - it's the plant world version of velcro.

Comment

Wild flower mixes often contain a considerable percentage of native 'weeds' which many of us spend a lifetime eliminating from our lawns but here goes with my guess:

number 2: herb robert,
        number 3: cleavers,
        number 4: dandelion and
        number 5: some kind of thistle.

I could be way off the mark as they are still very young (all baby humans look the same to me).

Comment

I'm not good at seedlings. This site has weed seedlings on it (right column)
          Weeds - Red, Pink, Purple, Blue
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

3 rd is (almost) certainly Cleavers. That's what I suspected and it is slightly sticky to the touch.
            One of the photo's could be a fledgling type of Ivy - the whole wall next to the bed was covered in it, that is before I decided that the wall had to remain and the Ivy had to go.
            The 2nd photo has leaves that remind me of a tree, can't quite put my finger on it but a type of Oak comes to mind. Surely can't be a tree though . . .

Comment

Doesn't look like an oak to me - I have hundreds of them all over my plot. They grow (well here, anyway) with a single pinkish shoot which looks almost like a bramble, then the leaves unfurl and it is obviously an oak.
              I would say that pic 4 is a dandelion type thing too.
              None of them look like ivy to me though.....
              Tx

Comment

I think rana is correct - No 4 is Dandelion. I've found the same plant but one with more developed leaves - and it's certainly Dandelion looking. In which case I've got masses of them!

Comment

Hi Miguela,

Photo 2 is of Phacelia tanacetifolia - loved by bees so keep. It self seeds very well!!!
                  Photo 5 might be teasel however there is another plant (weed) that looks similar - was teasel in your flower mix?
                  cheers
                  Graham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X