Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your 5 worst weeds, and how do you tackle them?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Forgot the other bit. Dig, dig, dig, dig and dig some more. Don't like to use chemicals where I can help it.

Comment

brambles, brambles and more brambles. I'v been digging every weekend for two months and have only cleared 1/4 of my plot from brambles - still alot to go!!!

I haven't used any round up etc yet as wanted to dig as much out as i could, howerever am considering it as the brambles are starting to grow back in the bit i haven't dug yet

Comment

1) Bindweed
        2) Nettles
        3) Bindweed
        4) Brambles
        5) Bindweed

Where I have my plot, I covered it last summer over and it seemed to have done the trick, so far!! (touch wood )

The thing that was most resilient to last years weed killer and covering was wild blue bells, not sure how they got in my garden.

Comment

I thought it was goose grass, but then doubted myself!

I've been picking at stuff as much as I can, still struggling to bend with my back which doesn't help on the digging side of things I'm sure we'll get it vaguely under control if I keep at it!
          Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

Comment

Bindweed, nettles, bindweed, nettles and more bindweed. It feels like the more I pull out the more grows back! As a new gardener I hope my veg grow as well!!

Comment

Lesser celandine: Garden is over run with it from top to bottom! I just hoe it now, its gone by summer anyway so what's the point

Couch grass: Its coming from next doors garden and we don't have a fence just a wire one I'm planning on putting damp proof course down around my flower beds to block it

Chickweed: It's 50/50 at the moment, If i don't keep pulling it, its going to win

Ribwort plantain: Think its that anyway, but its always popping up. I just keep pulling it

Bindweed: Garden was over run with it when we moved in, But I got on top of it and didn't have much at all last year, but this year it looks like its back! Coming in from newxt door so can't get at the root
              Last edited by IgglePiggle; 29-04-2009, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coreopsis View Post
                Ground elder-yes it's a nuisance,I dig it up bit after bit of ground-they have shallow root system so I don't find it too difficult.Obviously you have to pull out every bit of root and when you're digging it up try to take as big spadefuls as possible-to avoid breking the roots into smaller pieces.
                I stupidly decided to dig my plot in an old field which is covered in ground elder - it's awful!! Most of it isn't shallow rooted either, my best chance is just to pull out the smaller pieces that get into my plot and leave the rest, hardly any grass is growing there anymore, just ground elder...
                http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

The small veg patch I have in my garden was covered in ground elder.Thankfully the soil here is sandy with lots of stones so I guess it makes it easier to crumble the soil and pull the roots out.I have no ground elder growing there although I had to pull out accasional bit of the weed from the ground(you'll always miss something)shortly after I dug it.

Comment

Ground Elder - I'm waging war on this at the moment. Its coming from the hedge, so I'm digging it up and I've put a physical barrier (20cm damp proof course) in as well, so I can contain the regrowth from the hedge.

Creeping Buttercup - Everywhere - beds, lawn and lottie. I just keep putting/digging it up when I see it.

Ivy - Also coming from the hedge, smothering everything and scrambling up the trees which I don't like (don't mind tree ivy, just the climbing stuff)

Dandelions - Everywhere, when you're not looking another one springs up

Nettles - not too worried about these, it gives the butterflies somewhere to lunch, but I like to keep them comfined to one area.

Comment

Nobody's mentioned willow-herb? Keep finding this everywhere, constantly rootling this out, tiny little rosettes appear and grow in hours into vigorous plants, losing battle really as there's always one growing on neglected allotments that goes to seed without you noticing it.
                      I have taken to spraying dandelions on the two neglected plots near me with hairspray in an effort to keep the seeds from dispersing and have been trying the salt method on ones nearest to home.
                      I recently dug up all my chamomile to get rid of the couch grass in amongst it and replanted it but arggh, missed a bit and there it was one perky grass stem.
                      As for the bindweed, growing strongly again despite five years worth of assault, keep smiling, keep digging...
                      and why, oh why did I plant mint in the ground....
                      Sue

Comment

Ooo yes we have willowherb, however it's easy to pick out of the ground which is good!

I've stuck my mint in a pot in the middle of the herb bed, I did have some in a small space by the steps but it died!
                        Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                          Nobody's mentioned willow-herb?
                          Ah, but it's good for the wonderful hummingbird hawkmoths.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X