Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your 5 worst weeds, and how do you tackle them?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your 5 worst weeds, and how do you tackle them?

At the moment for me it's:

Bindweed
    Horsetail
    Brambles (fine when not getting everywhere in my garden!)
    That stuff that looks like dock, but I don't think it is...nightmare to pull up
    And that sticky stuff which you use to stick on people's back when they're not looking

At the moment I've tried to weedkill stuff but it's not great at working, so I'm just trying to hack everything back and keep on top of it!
    Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

1, Bindweed
    2, Bindweed
    3, Bindweed
    4, Bindweed
    And finally; 5, Bindweed.

Darnned stuff is all over my plot. I covered it for a year and it weakened it, now I just try and uproot it whenever it appears... I can spot even a tiny bit from 50 yards and I'm starting to win, but slowly, oh so slowly.
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Cooch Grass x4
      Dandelions.

Oriental poppies also grow as weeds on my lottie & garden but I keep then.
      Last edited by bubblewrap; 25-04-2009, 11:10 AM.
      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
      Brian Clough

Comment

in my garden its couch grass, chickweed (I think) and dandelions. and some kind of weed, i don't know the name of, but it spreads everywhere. fortunately its quite easy to pull up, but it just keeps coming back (although painting the leaves of some with neat glycophosphate worked a treat on one of them). I should snap a photo and post it here.

The other part, worryingly, is that there's an old, filled in canal, now a footpath, running past our garden, about 150 yards away. There's another set of flats, and a row of houses in between the footpath and our garden, but i've spotted japanese knotweed growing on the footpath. What i don't know is how it spreads. Anyone know? i really don't want to be in a position where i'm fighting that...

keth
        xx

Comment

I am on top of weeds now but it is annoying when vacant plots are left. My worst is bindweed but it's not the stuff in the hedge it's the small and it has so many roots. my other is gras. I put some horse poo having rotted it on the ground and within a few days I had a lovely lawn. it has taken 2 years to knock it down but keep on pulling it and I think I'm winning slowly. I will use glysophate around area's I can't get to like my water butts. But chickweed is around but hit it young and I do not mind it big as leaving it to dry out and die is putting the goodness it had out back in. But bindweed is the hardest to control. I have got the sticky weed but do not know what it's called in the hedge.

Comment

Japanese knotweed x4
            Bindweed

I have got rid of the jap knotweed in my garden but nextdoors is over run with it so fighting a losing battle
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Couchgrass, bindweed, chickweed, and dandelions.

We weed them all out. No chemicals yet.

Horseradish, we dig it out and have put cardboard, pallettes and boxes over the area this year to try and stop them growing back but it will probably move deeper into the lottie.

Comment

Horsetail
                Docks
                Dandelions
                Couch grass
                Creeping buttercup

The docks and dandelions I managed to get rid of out of the beds in the first year, but still battling them in the paths and corners, plus next door keep making us a present of clouds of seeds We handweed them out of the beds and strim down the ones in the paths.
                Horsetail if I'm digging anyway I take out whatever roots I come across, otherwise -hoe, hoe, hoe, hoe. It's impossible to get rid of completely, weedkiller has a negligable effect as you can't spray til it opens up and by then it's already chucked spores everywhere! Keep taking the tops off it as soon as you spot them and you weaken it.
                Couch grass, I hate, I get it out and it creeps back in from the paths and from next door... Grrrrr... Got some more weed control fabric so more of the paths will be covered this year, hopefully that will help.
                Creeping buttercup, just digging it out - same problem of it encroaching from the paths and next door, so hopefully covering the paths will help there too!

Comment

Brambles
                  Buttercups
                  Acacia Trees x2
                  Nettles
                  http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

sorry forgot the how do i tackle them bit.....basically i just keep digging, hoeing, scrabbling on hands and knees, hacking, burning.......
                    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

I've only got 3 at them moment but IMO their worth 5!!
                      Bindweed. Have tried to dig it out but almost impossible. Have used glyphosphate which works until the next lot come through from next door Unfortunately next door is a 'wildlife haven' and the bindweed is 3 foot high in places.
                      Couch grass. I hate it with a vengeance. I try my best to dig it up but just when I think it's safe another shoot comes up!
                      Bramble: Again inherited from next door. Ended up using roundup on it because it just kept re-growing and there's so much of it next door that it's only a matter of time before the next lot grows through
                      AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                        Couchgrass, bindweed, chickweed, and dandelions.

We weed them all out. No chemicals yet.

Horseradish, we dig it out and have put cardboard, pallettes and boxes over the area this year to try and stop them growing back but it will probably move deeper into the lottie.
                        I would relish some of your chickweed Zazen.....none grows in my allotment for some reason and it's supposed to be a sign of good growing land?
                        It would be useful for green manure, feeding the chooks and moisture retention.
                        Some of the biggest onions I've ever grown were buried under a sea of moisture retaining chickweed on a previous plot!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Marestail and bindweed seem to be the ones that don't want to give up!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Bindweed
                            Couch grass
                            Creeping buttercup
                            Ground elder
                            Brambles - suddenly peep out from the shrubs, you start pulling and end up with over 10' of bramble and no way of getting to the root

I just keep pulling it all out - I have been for years and it doesn't seem to be weakening yet.

5 isn't enough - I seem to have a magnificent show of dandelions this year and does next door's honeysuckle count as a weed in my garden when it invades everywhere?
                            Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                            So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

In my garden its the following;
                              Ground Elder
                              Bindweed
                              Couchgrass
                              Dandielions
                              Creeping Buttercup

I just keep on top of them but the Ground Elder is a bit of a bugger as it is creeping in from next doors wilderness!!!!
                              The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X