No announcement yet.

Blumin' pigeons!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use an air rifle for pigeons... no licence needed & as i always go for a head shot & it is just one pellet, no damage to the breast meat...!!!
    Last edited by SarzWix; 23-04-2009, 10:47 AM.
    It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

Comment

I used to shoot rats with an air rifle, when we had space and a problem. Still not something you can do just anywhere, but a lot better (neighbour-wise) than a shotgun.
      You do need to be a good shot!
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I used to be pretty good hitting coke cans with an air-rifle as a kid, but it was a long time ago, and can's don't fly (until you hit them). I wasn't aware you didn't need a licence - may have to borrow an air-rifle off my Dad then!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Slightly off topic, but if you keep doves can they/do they cross-breed with pigeons?
          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I noticed a while ago that the pair of pigeons had gone from the lottie. I spoke to someone and he said Oh I hadnt noticed with a funny look on his face. I think they became some one's dinner lol
            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
            and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
              I used to be pretty good hitting coke cans with an air-rifle as a kid, but it was a long time ago, and can's don't fly (until you hit them). I wasn't aware you didn't need a licence - may have to borrow an air-rifle off my Dad then!

The main thing you need to be careful about is where the pellet will end up if you miss. I'm probably preaching to the converted but always make sure the the pigeon has something behind it that is capable of stopping the pellet. Shooting at them on the ridge of your roof is asking for a visit from an irate policeman, and he may bring his mates that have got better guns than yours, so take care.
              Other than that, get plenty of practice if you haven't used an air rifle before/for a year or three. You don't want wounded pigeons upsetting the neighbours barbecue. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                Slightly off topic, but if you keep doves can they/do they cross-breed with pigeons?
                Apparently doves (and pigeons) are monogamous, so if you buy a pair, they stay a pair

And this link has more info on inter-breeding (unlikely with white doves and pigeons apparently) http://en.allexperts.com/q/Birds-Gen...s-Pigeon-1.htm
                Last edited by SarzWix; 24-04-2009, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks SarzWix. See, there's this perfect place for a dove cote.........
                  Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Useless info but a pigeon has to eat 25% of its own body weight a day so its not surprising the damage they can do to a farmers field, let alone our own!!

A mate of mine reckoned they destroyed 40% of his crop last year!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X