Lettuce completely gone

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lettuce completely gone

Well my winter lettuces went in a couple of weeks ago. Put in polytunnel, pegged down, no holes, went back yesterday and half are gone. Not nibbled, not laced just completely gone, roots and all. Anybody any ideas...please?

Could be slugs. Although if the roots have also gone it could be a dual fronted attack. Can't remember the name of the things that eat roots of plants. No doubt someone will put me right.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I can think of leather-jackets and vine-wevil grubs, both of which eat roots. Dunno if they would be active at the moment?
      There are probably loads of things that eat roots. The world becomes a darker place with enemies all around when you start growing veg

If the seedlings were quite small then whatever ate them might have pulled the roots up too...

Comment

It sounds like mice, leather jackets and vine weevils at this time of year just eat the roots unless they have joined forces with the slugs! I suspect that it is field mice, dormouse, this time of year they come in for warmth and food.
        Best wishes
        Andrewo
        Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X