Is it a weed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a weed?

Last year I had a couple of areas where one particular weed/plant kept appearing.

It was very fast growing, seemed like a foot overnight. Light green heart shaped leaves twisted around and up everything that it came near. I don't have a pic but can anyone suggest what it might be so I can Google some pics?
    Last edited by amandaandherveg; 22-03-2009, 09:04 PM.

Classic description of bindweed or morning glory - but it can't be that easy!

I'm too much of a luddite to be able to link a picture!
    Last edited by rogesse; 22-03-2009, 09:14 PM. Reason: repetition

Comment

Pretty flowers but a pain in the butt!

My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

That'll be them then, and yes, a real pain in the butt! Do I just have to keep digging them out as they appear?

Comment

try not to break them as a tiny bit can sprout into a new plant. Its a swine to get rid of, our lottie is covered in it and we dig and dig and dig and more appears.
          We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
          Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

The roots are long and white like spaghetti but branched. You are supposed to be able to kill them with glyphosate but I haven't managed it! If you break the roots (and leave the bits in the ground) each bit will sprout. It's an absolute thug! I had three separate digging sessions where I have it last year. Spring, summer and autumn. By autumn I was finding less of it. I want to plant a blackcurrant bush there but I'm keeping it in the pot to see if anything comes up this year.

Good luck getting rid!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

My allotment was full of bindweed when I took it on, but digging and pulling it out has beaten it (except where it is still coming in under my neighbour's fence).

Constant defoliation will eventually kill any plant
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

hmmmmm the dreaded neighbours fence.
                we have a breezeblock wall between us and our neighbours, with about a 9inch foundation - still the dreaded bindweed comes through.
                Just keep digging it up!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X