No announcement yet.

Pesky plant?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully this will answer it... if not, let me know and I'll try and explain it my way, but be warned I can totally lose peopl sometimes!

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...read.php?t=493
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Waffler, or anybody else, if you don't know how to post a pic but want to , send me a private message (PM) and I will do all I can to help.
      If you don't know how to send a PM
      At the top of this page
      Click Members List
      Click the Letter for the name (A)
      Click the name (Alice)
      Under contact info (R hand side) click send a private message to Alice
      Enter your message and send
      Sorry if too simplistic. No intention to be patronising, just helpful. We all started somewhere. Remember.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

New To The Plot - a good book about weeds is 'The Daily Telegraph Weeds' An earth-friendly guide to their identification, use & control by John Walker. I won it from a magazine a couple of years ago & it's quite useful. Also the website link below where you can click on the colour of the weeds flowers & see pictures of 'suspects'.www.theseedsite.co.uk/weeds.html
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Waffler your weed could be dock Id keep aplant if youve got nettles its great to rub on if you get stung

Comment

Definitely not dock - I grew up in the countryside, so know about their healing properties where stingers are concerned. If I don't get work tomorrow, I'll perhaps have a go at posting a pic.

Comment

Originally posted by SueA View Post
              New To The Plot - a good book about weeds is 'The Daily Telegraph Weeds' An earth-friendly guide to their identification, use & control by John Walker. I won it from a magazine a couple of years ago & it's quite useful. Also the website link below where you can click on the colour of the weeds flowers & see pictures of 'suspects'.www.theseedsite.co.uk/weeds.html
              Hey thanks for that sue i'll have a look on amazon and give that website a go too.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                Hello Shelley, yes you are talking about bindweed or convolvulus. In it's cultivated form it is morning glory and the flowers are pretty. It's certainly difficult to get rid of. You can spend the rest of your life digging it out or you can spray it with Roundup - maybe two or three times. Whichever, happy gardening.

Waffler, I think we could identify your weed if we could see a pic. Post if you can.

Everybody, where have all the pics gone. Not many these days. Everybody that wondered what they were going to do in the winter can learn to post pics. L J - that includes you. Come on everybody.
                Well I took a photograph and figured out how to post it, but guess what... it's too big. Not being very technically minded, I simply cannot face trying to re-size it, and I think I may eventually have identified the pesky plant anyway; pretty sure it's 'coltsfoot', which I'd never heard of before, but there was a picture in a book which looked similar, and when I google-imaged it I found more that were very similar.
                I'm not overrun with the weed, but I have several dotted around my veg patch and once they take a hold there's no digging them out. I think repeat treatments of Roundup are in order.

Comment

It's not in the veg patch, but is very close and was growing around and inside a conifer hedge

Well... we got rid of the conifer hedge, burnt all the bindweed we could find and pull out and have put a stake in the ground for it to grow up. We'll then spray it with Roundup!

The stumps of the conifers are being ground out over winter (we got rid of about 15 of the things) so I maybe able to get to some of the roots of the bindweed.

Ghastly plant!

Comment

One persons weed is another persons flower,I try to leave the edges for stingers and bind weed as wild life loves it.Don't get too obsessed with everything being clinically cleared,that's whats destroying our countryside and farmers are now being paid to set aside land to let the "weeds" grow again.I compost all the stuff when it's finished,but before it sets seed.Failing that I'm sure Huge Fearnly whats his name will find a way of eating them.

Comment

Isn't bindweed a relative of bella donna?? That would make an intesting soup!!!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Burnie - we've still got loads of space that is thistles and nettles etc, the only reason we cleared the bindweed was that it was very near what is about to become veg patch.

We're lucky in that we've got about 800 sq m to grow on, and the edges of it are all "wild" and they will stay that way. We've found that 4ft high thistles deter nosey-parkers!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X