Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pesky plant?

OK, I have a mind like a collander..

What is the name of the pesky plant, that I know is a horrible weed that has vine-like stems and pretty, large white funnel-like flowers?

Also, how do I get rid of it?

Cheers

Shelley
    x

I call it Morning Glory.
    [

Comment

OWG - are you refering to bind weed:

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/bindweed.htm

I only know to keep digging the roots out - as much as you can find
      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Convulvulos.
        That's not spelt quite right but that's what it is.
        No idea how you get rid of it. It haunted me for years in one garden. I guess it's cut back, dig out and/or poison like most of the horrors.

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie View Post
          OWG - are you refering to bind weed:

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/bindweed.htm

I only know to keep digging the roots out - as much as you can find
          That's a handy looking site Shortie. Thanks!

Comment

That's the stuff! Found a load of it on one of our boundary hedges... might leave it until new growth then spray it to death.....

Comment

Spray it with roundup this will sort it out ,if growing tight among your veg put a cane in for it to grow up then use a brush to apply the roundup.

Comment

is there a book or something which shows you pictures of all these bad weeds you so kindly tell me about?

Comment

That pesky weed is the same thing that had covered over half our plot, growing up the 8' nettles and strangling everything! We are digging deep to remove as much as possible, so far where we've dug it hasnt come back yet, and the surface stuff we removed when we first got the plot doesnt seem to have returned, so perhaps theres a small chance we may have got it all, but not hopeful! Think we are gonna be battling it again come the spring!
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                  Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                  Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                  On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

I HATE BINDWEED! Our garden is riddled with the stuff.
                    I have Alan Titchmarsh's 'how to be a gardener - book 1' and it has pictures of some nasties in it. However, we could all just add the names of the nasties to this post and you could google image them all, and file them away on your computer??
                    Bindweed and couch grass are my worst enemies in the garden (plant types) - also dandelions and a weird weed which has the most 'humungustis' and longest tap root I've ever come across; I can never dig all of it out and have to resort to Roundup instead. It doesn't spread and it's low growing with large leaves. Anybody got any ideas what it is?

Comment

Hello Shelley, yes you are talking about bindweed or convolvulus. In it's cultivated form it is morning glory and the flowers are pretty. It's certainly difficult to get rid of. You can spend the rest of your life digging it out or you can spray it with Roundup - maybe two or three times. Whichever, happy gardening.

Waffler, I think we could identify your weed if we could see a pic. Post if you can.

Everybody, where have all the pics gone. Not many these days. Everybody that wondered what they were going to do in the winter can learn to post pics. L J - that includes you. Come on everybody.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks for being picked out Alice!! I haven't mastered the camera yet!!
                        [

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay View Post
                          Thanks for being picked out Alice!! I haven't mastered the camera yet!!
                          LJ you replied at 1.18am
                          I've just logged on, its now 7.35am int morning and I notice you're still omline! Do you ever sleep? Lol
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Oh Snadger!! I was actually on line this morning at 6.30 am. Yes I do sleep. 3 hours last night but I make up for it at the weekend!
                            [

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                              Hello Shelley, yes you are talking about bindweed or convolvulus. In it's cultivated form it is morning glory and the flowers are pretty. It's certainly difficult to get rid of. You can spend the rest of your life digging it out or you can spray it with Roundup - maybe two or three times. Whichever, happy gardening.

Waffler, I think we could identify your weed if we could see a pic. Post if you can.

Everybody, where have all the pics gone. Not many these days. Everybody that wondered what they were going to do in the winter can learn to post pics. L J - that includes you. Come on everybody.
                              I thought I'd replied to this already - may be I'm just going mad - who am I?? Who are you...? Apologies if it's turned up elsewhere!

Anyway, back to the point of my post: how do I post a photo?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X