Squirrels

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't think about the grubs.
    The nest on my plot is deep in under the shed.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
      Badgers get a bad press, they do little harm to hedgehogs, most of their diet is worms. https://www.badgertrust.org.uk/badgers
      I'm sure the dead hedgehog at the bottom of my garden might feel a bit different! only the skin left...

Comment

Originally posted by Stan79 View Post

I'm sure the dead hedgehog at the bottom of my garden might feel a bit different! only the skin left...
        Badgers are known to be the number one predator of hedgehogs. There's also plenty of circumstantial evidence from across Europe which show that areas with high badger populations tend to have low numbers of hedgehogs, and vice versa.

Comment

The trouble with squirrels and badgers is that we have killed off their predators.
          I'm thinking of rewilding Purley with wolves which will take out squirrels and badgers, the noisy kids ,their yappy dog and a distant cockrel!
          I think it's the moisture in the soil which draws worms to the surface not mowers
          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
            The trouble with squirrels and badgers is that we have killed off their predators.
            I'm thinking of rewilding Purley with wolves which will take out squirrels and badgers, the noisy kids ,their yappy dog and a distant cockrel!
            I think it's the moisture in the soil which draws worms to the surface not mowers
            I can't imagine wolves would have taken squirrels...
            Not to mention grey squirrels don't even have any "natural" predators here, since they're from America.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
              Vibration from mowers also brings worms up. The pulverised grass also makes them move onto lawns too.
              Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post

I can't imagine wolves would have taken squirrels...
                Not to mention grey squirrels don't even have any "natural" predators here, since they're from America.
                Score now 14--0
                Glad you don't disagree about the kids etc.
                I realise wolves don't climb trees or fly.
                I never qualified the word "predator". I'm sure that before this area of farm land was developed it had stoats, weasels, polecats and maybe even wild cats. Unfortunately unlike grey squirrels they don't seem to thrive in urban areas.
                Pine martens are doing a good job north of the border.
                Nobody has mown the railway cutting ever. Nobody, not even the professionals, uses mulching mowers around here.
                Where pine martens have recovered, red squirrels have tended to benefit while grey squirrels have declined. Scientists weren't sure why – until now.
                Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X