Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown swede and turnip problem

Hi

this is the first time I have ever grown swedes and turnips and in both when growing in the garden I have found some brown marks in them inside when you open them up.

Just eaten my first home grown swede which is so exciting but had to cut half of it away, does anyone know what this is?
    or how to prevent it for next year?

many thanks in advance

from
    Sarah

Swedes and turnips get something called brown heart which is caused by boron defficiency. Brassicas are hungry plants and if your soil is a bit light it won't hold the nutrients. It's a good idea to work in plenty of compost or well rotted manure when you're preparing the soil to improve the texture and help it to hold on to the goodness. I'm not sure if there's anything you can use to actually stop it happening, but generally soil improving is a good place to start.
    Life is too short for drama & petty things!
    So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

You used to be able to get borax powder for boron defficiency?

Probably better to use a fertiliser that stipulates 'With added trace elements' on the packaging!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Not really pertinent, but can someone tell me why I have had such a weird swede crop this year?
        Every thing seemed fine early on, but nearly all my swede developed really thick necks and hardly any bulbing of the main part. Cr*p description, I know but I don't know any better.
        Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
          Not really pertinent, but can someone tell me why I have had such a weird swede crop this year?
          Every thing seemed fine early on, but nearly all my swede developed really thick necks and hardly any bulbing of the main part. Cr*p description, I know but I don't know any better.
          Sounds like they are trying to produce seed this year instead of storing up energy to get started early next year (most brassicas we eat as veg are biennials, and that is what biennials are supposed to do, but sometimes they try to do it all in one year, known as 'bolting'). Can't remember what the books say about causes, but got a feeling it is climatic, and we've had some weird weather this year.... I imagine someone with more (and more recent) veg growing know-how will be along soon.
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I've nothing real to add to this Saraheliz but I'd go with Comfreyfan.
            A couple of years ago I grew some turnips in quite rubbish ground and they were all shot with little brown threads - useless really.
            This year I have swedes and turnips in better ground and they are just perfect.
            I think the ground does matter.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

thanks everyone thats something I never thought of!! u see I have been treating swedes as root veg which don't need as much nutrients.
              does that mean in crop rotation i treat them as brassicas!

much appreciate all ur help

from
              Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
                Mine always go like that. I've decided that life has more to worry about than swede, which I love but now buy - and I still only buy 3 or 4 a year because I grow such a variety of other things. I decided that growing older meant learning when to give up!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

[QUOTE=Saraheliz;298026]thanks everyone thats something I never thought of!! u see I have been treating swedes as root veg which don't need as much nutrients.
                  does that mean in crop rotation i treat them as brassicas!/QUOTE]

Yep, they're brassicas.
                  Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                  So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

thanks Comfreyfanxx, have to plan my whole garden differentl now!

Comment

Originally posted by Saraheliz View Post
                      thanks everyone thats something I never thought of!! u see I have been treating swedes as root veg which don't need as much nutrients.
                      does that mean in crop rotation i treat them as brassicas!

much appreciate all ur help

from
                      Sarah
                      Yes they are a brassica and as such they could get all the brassica problems!
                      I grow mildew and clubroot resistant types just to be on the safe side!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

thank you Snadger, I love growing them, wish I had more than 3! appreciate ur helpxx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X