Lettuce and slugs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lettuce and slugs

Looking around the plot this evening and realized that slugs have had a go at all my lettuce except the Buttercrunch. Anyone else noticed crops that don't get attacked? I'm told that red coloured crops are less likely to be got at. I've been using beer, yeast and marmite in traps and got loads of slugs, also had some old copper pipes stuck to the top/sides of raised beds but still some get through.
    History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

I never heard til of the marmite one

Comment

Mine have been got at too. I had been using beer traps too, which proved to be quite effective, but I'm affraid I had to give in and bought some organic slug pellets. Even so, with all the rain we've had, my lettuces have still taken a bashing. They seem to be the only crop so far to have been slugged ( except a few new potatoes, which have all been dug up now).
      I have to admit, I've never heard about the red coloured veg being less likely to be munched.
      Maybe I'll try growign more red veg next year. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

My slugs aren't that bothered with my lettuce (it's looseleaf).
        they go for my radishes instead, and anything with a heart (pak choi, cabbage) that they can hide up in.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I put iceberg lettace in, all eaten by slugs, but they have left the red lettaces and everything else alone.
          I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

I went for a complete mixture of lettuce leaves, and for about a month the snails had the time of their lives, eating the lettuce before it was even a cm tall and I had to sow it 4 times.

I tried pellets and they just ignored them - an afternoon snail hunting just after it had rained (taking them far away from my garden) helped alot. The beer traps stopped a lot of slugs but no snails as yet. Maybe I'm using the wrong beer!

Comment

i had a lovely bed full of different lettuce then a month ago.all gone i have tried to grow but it just keep getting eaten by slugs anybody got any tips for which slugs dont like which lettuce type.
              joanne geldard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X