Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's a Rat in the Compost bin wot I'm goona do...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SorryLesley Jay! and thanks for the welcome!

It's just you advised the poster to put poison down and although, I am very keen gardener and do not like anything eating my veggies! I am also a animal lover and a keeper and lover of fancy rats, so am a bit biased towards rats in particular (even wild ones). But, equally am totally against inhumane traps or poisons (except, maybe for slugs! ) I know rats can be a pain, especially when they are eating our crops, but there has got to be other ways to deter them.

Comment

Jersey Jan, I think you can work out if you've got a mouse or a rat from the shape of the poos - here's where Green Gardener may be better at identifying a rat poo!

I was told (when I had a rodent of some description in the house!), that if the poo looks like bits of rice, then it's a mouse, and if it looks more like raisins then it's a rat.... Luckily I had rice shaped poo in the house!

Comment

Originally posted by Slug
        Jersey Jan, I think you can work out if you've got a mouse or a rat from the shape of the poos - here's where Green Gardener may be better at identifying a rat poo!

I was told (when I had a rodent of some description in the house!), that if the poo looks like bits of rice, then it's a mouse, and if it looks more like raisins then it's a rat.... Luckily I had rice shaped poo in the house!
        Yes! rats poos are definitely raisins, rather than rice!

Comment

I practise biological control. We have four cats, funnily enough the only rodents we see are very dead ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Green gardener
            SorryLesley Jay! and thanks for the welcome!

It's just you advised the poster to put poison down and although, I am very keen gardener and do not like anything eating my veggies! I am also a animal lover and a keeper and lover of fancy rats, so am a bit biased towards rats in particular (even wild ones). But, equally am totally against inhumane traps or poisons (except, maybe for slugs! ) I know rats can be a pain, especially when they are eating our crops, but there has got to be other ways to deter them.
            Whilst I agree with your sentiments there is the health concerns. Weils disease is not pleasant & could be present in the urine that is no doubt in the compost heap. So try Eviction if you can't bear the alternatives.
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

we got a cat from the cat protection league when we had a problem - we had about 8 of the little buggers eating the chicken food... absolutely facinating to watch , but as ntg points out, a health hazzard...I just hope she doesn't bring one into the house - like she does with the mice, voles, birds etc!!!
              How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

How would I deter my fellow rats from the compost bin - four choices really, and in no particular order.
                1. Shoot 'em with an air rifle - if you are a good shot, it's quick and painless.
                2. Poison 'em - not very quick and you might find them decomposing under a shrub
                3. Buy a cat - but only if you live in a town.
                4. Buy a Parson Jack Russel Terrier - but only if you have the ability to let them run about all day in wide open spaces.
                Me, 1 & 4 are my preferred methods
                Rat

British by birth
                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

MartinXXXXXX

Every time you go to your plot or anywhere near the compost bin, give a good hefty kick! Apparently they soon get fed up and move on. Truthfully, I haven't had this problem, but I have heard this works. Please, let me know.

Zebedee
                  "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X