Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's a Rat in the Compost bin wot I'm goona do...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a Rat in the Compost bin wot I'm goona do...

I don't put any cooked things in, just uncooked veg clippings, but I open the lid and he is always there.

Anyone got a good plan to get rid of him please

Hi martinxxxxxx, and welcome

I don't know how to help get rid of him sorry, but when your bins is finally ready and emptied, I've heard that putting wire mesh on the bottom stops them getting in without stopping the worms etc.

That's obviously only of use though when your bin is empty and he's scarpered
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Put some poison in a trap on top of the compost? The person with the answer to your problem is Sewer Rat. Hopefully he will be around this evening.
      [

Comment

I tried wire mesh on my compost bin but the rat got through it In the short term if you have the space I would empty the compost bin to stop him returning, let him go and find someone elses then I would go and get a bait box and put that either in the bin or just outside it where it is entering the bin, if you use a bait box other animals can't get in there and eat the poison
        www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Check with your local council environmental services - they should come out and put bait boxes down? You can bet where there's one there's more!
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I think I have one too! The last few times I've gone to put stuff in there have been piles of poo all over the top of the compost. I'm not very good at identifying poo but it's bigger than a rabbits and in longer pieces, dark brown and in little piles (sorry to put you off your dinner! ) Have put rat bait in bits of drainpipe along behind the shed and next to the heap so will let you know if I find a dead one - urgh!

Comment

Thanks for the description Jan, I can picture it all. Hope you get the pest or you'll soon have more.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

As Smallblueplanet suggests, it is worth contacting your local Environmental Health. Our lot regularly hand out small quantities of poisen, or will advise you on what type of poisen to get and also give advice on how to treat the situation and if it gets really bad will come and sort it out for you.

How do you spel poisen? Doesn't look right?
                ~
                Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

poison - Bsc (hons) in spelling

Comment

Thanks Bugeyes - sooo dependent on a spellchecker!
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Jan
                      I think I have one too! The last few times I've gone to put stuff in there have been piles of poo all over the top of the compost. I'm not very good at identifying poo but it's bigger than a rabbits and in longer pieces, dark brown and in little piles (sorry to put you off your dinner! ) Have put rat bait in bits of drainpipe along behind the shed and next to the heap so will let you know if I find a dead one - urgh!
                      What no picture?
                      www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Great idea. Lets have a picture Jan We've had pictures of everything else. Sure we could identify the Poo better if we could see it

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

poison in little plastic bags from the local agricultural supplier. best to put them in bait boxes. it took a week or so, but it sorted out the nest i had under the shed.

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay
                            Put some poison in a trap on top of the compost? The person with the answer to your problem is Sewer Rat. Hopefully he will be around this evening.
                            How can you be so cruel?! There are other humane ways of getting rid of rats, after all they are just trying to survive! Posion is a very horrible and slow way for an animal to die and they do not deserve it.

Comment

I can honestly say Green Gardener that I have never poisoned any rats or mice or any other animals (except for slugs). Welcome to the grapevine by the way.
                              [

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X