Carrot Fly

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrot Fly

I know this has probably been asked before but is there any truth that carrot fly can only reach heights of over 2 feet
    john

The jury is still out on this one. The answer is 'Possibly'. They have been found overwintering 60' up in trees, but they may have crawled up, rather than flown up.
    http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Did you watch The Big Dig on UKTV gardens? Several allotmenteers grew carrots in large buckets which were taller than the 2' limit. All of them had perfect carrots, so it seemed to work for them. I'm growing mine in a tall bucket and open ground this year to compare.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Some areas aren't as bothered with carrot fly as others. Windy areas are purported to fair well!
        Two years ago I made two sowings of carrots at different times to try and avoid the 'fly'. Both crops were decimated!

Last year I invested in enviromesh to cover the carrot beds and I had no problems!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

And they got into our courtyard which is completely surrounded by 6 feet walls...and decimated my planned winter crop!

Comment

I it true that if you sow carrots in June, they are less likely to get attacked by carrot fly?
            Has anyone had any luck with companion planting?
            Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X