No announcement yet.

slug prevention...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YouTube - Slug control - The 9-Volt Solution - saw that linked from one of the videos above

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
      YouTube - Slug control - The 9-Volt Solution - saw that linked from one of the videos above
      I wonder if this will still work when its wet - the moisture could cause a "short circuit" and render a lot of the fence inactive.
      Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Slug prevention

So far I've found the old trick of eggshells to work. Sprinkling broken pieces around my fledgling plants has deterred these soft-bellied creatures from crawling and nibbling: Eco-girl

Comment

I've had no slug damage at all this year. I used Bio-friend slug banish from Victoriana nursery early April and surround everything with a wall of bran. Bought a huge bag from the local feed supply shop for £5 and have not used half of it yet.
          History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Originally posted by marialittlebzz View Post
            you are going to kill your plant with the amount of salt ... salt is more harmful than the slug on this point
            You'd think so, but it's not the case. I have been assalting my slugs for years, and never lost any plants to it. You only need a pinch per slug: it's really not that much.

Besides, I live on the coast, so we get salt coming in on the wind all the time.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by EdenGarden View Post
              Copper tape is expensive and doesnt work at all!! not sure why people should be selling the stuff

I think its one of those old wives tales that should really go on mythbusters! and get BUSTED!!

Rather than spend (and waste) lots of money on copper tape or pipes (which are getting more expensive) have a look at this, a video of how effective coppertape is on youtube first

YouTube - Garden Pest Update: Slug vs Copper or if your bored.. another one:

YouTube - Copper & a Slug

Rubbish!

I like to keep it natural and hummane if possible, Caffeine is a good way to get rid of slugs.

I have used Slug Snub a British made new repellent which uses caffeine and garlic plus other natural things.

It works great some how, and effectively repels them. What persuaded me was their convincing proof on their website, which you can see for yourself, its a timelapse footage of slugs feeding and completely avoiding the side their product is on, not too expensive either.

really worth a look:

Caffeine based slug repellent - Slug Snub
              Are you working for this site or is it your own buisness?
              http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

I use slug pellets but inside polytunnel I have put sheeps wool around the bottom of my tomatoe plants seems to work.
                http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've just read the following from an article about uses for cucumber:- Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area.
                  History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Originally posted by greengas View Post
                    I use slug pellets but inside polytunnel I have put sheeps wool around the bottom of my tomatoe plants seems to work.
                    I never find that slugs bother my tomato plants so don't give them any protection

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

No, slugs don't seem to like tomatoes. Coleus that's only been planted out one day mind ... ribbons
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

the slugs destroyed my salvia plants, i moved what was left of them to my back door step so i could try and save them the following day. upon getting something from my shed last night i noticed holes in the soil and a bunch of happy slugs munching what was left of my plants!! yes they were living in the pots under the soil an coming up when ever they wanted food.:/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X