No announcement yet.

slug prevention...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used Snailaway at my previous house, and will rig it up again here in my new one. Its basically an electrified fence, but it does stop the slugs from crossing the barrier. Check out the site:
    The Great Little Electric Fencing Co. - Home of SnailAway and have a look at the little video
    Frank
    ....never buy a dwarf with learning difficulties - it's not big and its not clever!

Comment

Originally posted by Effigy View Post
      I've used Snailaway at my previous house, and will rig it up again here in my new one. Its basically an electrified fence, but it does stop the slugs from crossing the barrier. Check out the site:
      The Great Little Electric Fencing Co. - Home of SnailAway and have a look at the little video
      I read about this the other day what a good idea Just a shame most people use 50+ pots at one time and the cost would be massive .I found that unless you protect eveything its usless for veg growing ,(im talking about all slug protection) As the slugs only end up compleatly striping the ones that arnt instead of just taking a bite here and there
      Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Slugs have 27,000 teeth - no wonder they can destroy a lettuce bed overnight.
        Gardening tips: ten things you need to know about slugs - Times Online
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We have just come in from our garden after covering more than 100 slugs with salt... they were all on the OH's flower bed (it was covered in them) rather than my veg patch which annoys him no end. However I suspect that we will have to repeat this procedure pretty much every night rather than this being a solution to get rid of them permanently.
          pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by allotmentlady View Post
            Nematodes are excellent and I use them twice a year, good to buy from

Pest Control.
            Is this the right link? Can't find nematodes on here at all - was interested to see if they'd come down in price since last time I bought them, they seem to work OK but are very expensive.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

i think the nematodes are expensive depends on how much money you have got to shell out,they are not as many snails and slugs as last year in my area.beer traps,sas spray mightly witch hunts lol
              joanne geldard

Comment

I have found that the slugs have completely left alone my raised beds. I'm really surprised as I've got loads of tasty salad leaves in there, but not a thing has been nibbled.

They are about 18 inches high and made from rough timber, with a timber edging on top and it seems that the slugs can't get into them (yet!).

It's definitely the beds keeping them away because I put out some tomato and cauli seedlings in pots a couple of days ago and they've been eaten.

One year I tried the adhesive copper tape round pots until I sat and watched a slug slime over it without a moment's pause.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
                  My OH wants to dig a pond on the plot so I think I'll encourage him & hope some frogs come to live there.
                  frogs are prolific on golf courses, thats where we get them from, we have 20 plus now, and a regular supply of babies too

Comment

I planted out a courgette plant the other day and used the idea from here of a plastic collar thickly coated in vaseline and salt. So far the courgette is untouched and this morning there's a trail through the vaseline that gets half-way up the collar, then wiggles down again - looks like it worked pretty well!

Comment

I tried nemaslug for the first time about two weeks ago and I can't see any slugs around now well it's not that I could see them before but there is no trails, and much less snails as well...
                      IT DOESN'T WORK ON SNAILS????

ok I cannot confirm or not, maybe the constant hunting of the past weeks proved to be effective, but still

Not to tempted luck, I plant lettuce and other salad leaves in large boxes, very high ( about 30-40 cm high), and settled on stones, off the grounds...no slimmy trails yet...
                      HAHAHAHA VICTOIRE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pjh75 View Post
                        We have just come in from our garden after covering more than 100 slugs with salt...we will have to repeat this procedure pretty much every night rather than this being a solution to get rid of them permanently.
                        WOA !! you are going to kill your plant with the amount of salt it will represent in a couple of weeks!!
                        I would suggest to stop it now if you don't want to have a soil transformed into a "beach", salt is more harmful than the slug on this point as it will make the ground saline so not suitable for most plants!

Use the scissors method ( cut them in half ), or half ring of oranges or grapefruit close to your plants.... it does work as they love it and usually prefers it to plants so you just have to collect the ring with all the slug stuck on it...
                        If there is really too many, nemaslug is a good investment, I recommend it and I am on a student budget....

Comment

I can report that Nemaslug seems to have worked in my garden, too, as I'm hardly getting any slugs, now. However, something else is eating my dwarf beans, now. Any ideas what it could be? There are some holes and also some arc-like 'bites' into the leaf, like a leaf-cutter ant would make. I do have a LOT of ants.

Hmmmm, a separate post, maybe.

Comment

Found this site for copper tape, a lot cheaper than the marketed slug tape at anywhere from £5-£9 for 4m, I would say that the 1" roll at 33m meters would be the best as the 1/2" may not be wide enough. £26 for the roll. Will be getting some myself when I get home for my raised bed and stapling it on.
                            Kemtron UK - Online shopping - Conductive Foil Tapes

Comment

Copper tape does not work!!

Copper tape is expensive and doesnt work at all!! not sure why people should be selling the stuff

I think its one of those old wives tales that should really go on mythbusters! and get BUSTED!!

Rather than spend (and waste) lots of money on copper tape or pipes (which are getting more expensive) have a look at this, a video of how effective coppertape is on youtube first

YouTube - Garden Pest Update: Slug vs Copper or if your bored.. another one:

YouTube - Copper & a Slug

Rubbish!

I like to keep it natural and hummane if possible, Caffeine is a good way to get rid of slugs.

I have used Slug Snub a British made new repellent which uses caffeine and garlic plus other natural things.

It works great some how, and effectively repels them. What persuaded me was their convincing proof on their website, which you can see for yourself, its a timelapse footage of slugs feeding and completely avoiding the side their product is on, not too expensive either.

really worth a look:

Caffeine based slug repellent - Slug Snub

Comment

might be the nematodes

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X