No announcement yet.

What bug might this be please?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly they're not the ones David Attenborough was talking about - but I'm going to try and catch one in a glass this weekend and use Paul's camera to take a photo. If we're talking about the same insect (and I bet we are) I saw quite a few of them at the weekend, cos I was moving pots about so the chooks could get any slugs underneath, and I suspect they can fly although they look as if they're hopping.

BTW, I moved one pot and found a hibernating newt on Sunday which was nice! I had to grab her quick before the chooks did and move her to a safe place - I'm guessing chooks would eat a newt? Birdie Wife said hers ate a mouse!!!

Comment

We've got these in abundance and I tried for ages googling and looking through website galore and garden books. I got no nearer than the flee beatle but I wasn't convinced.

So if anyone identifies these I'd be pleased to know too.

Comment

Just read this with interest as I've been cleaning up some neglected areas of the garden and have seen thousands of little buggers that sound just the same. They jumped about whenever I moved anything (rocks, weeds etc) and the first thing I thought was 'flea' but I'm pretty sure they don't live in the ground in huge nests (please!). I rushed in and front-lined my girls right away anyway just in case, but I admit I'm mystified. They are very small, not sure about wings but I'll try to check tomorrow (ugh!) but they sound very similar as they jump and then disappear before you can get a proper look. I see you are in South West Wales Shirl and though I'm not very good at geog I think we are reasonably close in location (though I stand to be corrected) - maybe this is significant as I've never noticed any pests like this before.
        If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
        Cicero

Comment

They couldn't be what we used to call Frog-hoppers as kids could they? The ones responsible for Cuckoo spit.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Just googled this for an image Flummery but it doesn't look like the ones I'm seeing, plus I've had no 'spit' anywhere that I can see. These little jumpers in my garden are under things like pots, churns, leaves etc and when I move them I get a flurry of jumping movement and withing seconds I can't see a single one. I tried desperately to get a photo today but they are just too small and too flippin' jumpy! (Got some cracking shots of dirt though ) Whatever they are they obviously don't like being exposed because they jump under even the tiniest of stones, leaves, wherever they can get out of the open. I did get a closer look today and concur with Shirl about the fact that they are glossy, not fat, not sure but they may have some kind of 'double body' if you know what I mean. I couldn't see any wings and haven't seen any of them fly.
            Cicero

Comment

I wonder if they're a type of thrip as they look like a bigger version of a 'thunder fly' - and have the same shiny black body divided into lots of segments, almost like a miniature Devil's coach horse, but Googling hasn't helped me to identify them...

I'm going to ask the 10 year old boy down the road if he knows what they are - he's a wildlife expert and told me that lily beetles 'shriek' when you pick them up (they really do make a high-pitched noise, it's a defence mechanism).

Comment

Jeannie I've just googled Devil's Coach Horse (fabulous name!) and you're right they do look quite a bit like this with the segmented body and everything...but very small and jumpy! Be very interested to hear what your wildlife guru thinks - especially if they're detrimental to the garden
                Cicero

Comment

The things we always called Devil's Coach Horses are massive though - about an inch long with a bendy-in-the-middle body. That's the trouble with common names - they are used for different things.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

being very interested by this mystery, even though I haven't seen any of this little creatures in my garden....here is maybe what you are looking for : one of the 46,000 species of the second largest group of beetle, I introduce you the ROOVE BEETLE !!
                    here is the link to the wikipedia page, hope this help...
                    Rove beetle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    The world of insect is so rich, is that why its a bit scary?

Comment

WOW, I think you might have it there!! I will have a look at all the pictures later (will take a while to go through them all). Pity it doesn't mention the jumping thing though.

Thank you very much.
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

We think we managed to get some pictures today. The bugs are about 8mm long we reckon and as soon as you expose them they jump all over the place.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Landhopper

Arcitalitrus Darrieni - introduced to UK from Australia. Found under leaves rotting logs etc black creatures that jump about 3 - 12mm long

Comment

Originally posted by SMS6 View Post
                            Arcitalitrus Darrieni - introduced to UK from Australia. Found under leaves rotting logs etc black creatures that jump about 3 - 12mm long
                            They are the ones!! Thanks SMS6 - now are they friend or foe?
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

Haven't managed to find that out yet. I'll let you know when I do

Comment

Originally posted by SMS6 View Post
                                Haven't managed to find that out yet. I'll let you know when I do
                                LOL, thanks again, you must have been fast as Parsley the Lion to catch one!!!
                                Happy Gardening,
                                Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X