Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black ants over most fruit/veg

Hi all,

How do I get rid of black ants? They are over all plants....blueberries, cherry, strawberry, runner beans.
    Do they destroy the plant?

Thanks
    Helen

Normally where there are ants on plants there are aphids. Ants farm them and protect them from natural predators

Have a good look at the plants and see if there are affected

Comment

Just to add that the aphids usually start on the leaves near the growing tips of the plants, so looking at the underside of those leaves will confirm if that is the problem. Small infestations of aphids can be crushed between your finger and thumb.

Comment

We also have black ants. In both the front and back yards. They’re everywhere, and they do farm aphids. Last year we tried using ant control measures (I forget the name), bought from a local garden centre. It didn’t work. This year they’re back, but I’d resigned myself to their presence. Following this thread with interest.

Comment

If there is too big an infestation of aphids to deal with by hand, the next thing to try is to get a hose connected to the mins and spray a jet of water up to the underside of the leaves - this should wash off a lot of them - eventually the predators like ladybirds will catch up and deal with the issue.

Comment

I've noticed a load of ants in my greenhouse for the first time but no aphids yet as far as I can tell. I wasn't sure whether to let them stay or get rid, I don't like killing things for the sake of it, but I think it prudent to nip this nest in the bud.

Comment

If they made a nest somewhere in the GH, which is quite usual, then its usually simple enough to locate it and then a decent large shovel underneath it means you can relocate them to the bottom of a hedge or wherever.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X