Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red ants at the allotment

Hi all! New here and first post

Yesterday I was at my allotment and digging over the biggest bed which this year will be for squashes. It was covered with manure and black plastic sheeting for the winter and I have been digging it over.

There is a 3-4 meter long red ants nest underground on one side of it. I didn’t dare dig too close until getting some advice about what to do

Any thoughts?!

Hello Emily and welcome to the vine,if i came accross ants that big i would run for hills,hehehe,i presume you mean mm trs,have heard them bite/sting,so be carefull,it's the warmer weather brings them out,boiling water on the nest,open up for birds to eat,or and traps,i have in the past used semolina/ground rice,it is said the workers take it back and feed the queen,who then explodes,hence no more of the things,it is hard to eradicate them,have a google and see how others deal with the situation,good luck lass.
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Hi and welcome to the vine.

Is it definitely the same nest? I have loads of ants where I am and kinda accept a few losses of root veg which I tend to dig up and leave on the surface on cooler/ wetter days where I collect them later on. (Where they make their nests they distort and destroy the roots) However 3-4 metre nest is mahoosive and I would be nucing that every which way possible to bring it down to managable/bearable.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Boiling water down any holes is an infallible method. But with a nest that size, you're going to need a lot of it. You also have to do it repeatedly (three or four times has usually been enough in my experience).

Hello and welcome, by the way. Good luck.

Comment

erm...

https://youtu.be/9ZShdHO9piw?t=1694

or ants don't like being too wet or being disturbed. Run in stir it a bit with the fork. Run away.
          Keep doing this and they'll move.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X