No announcement yet.

Coldest May for 100 years

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I check two weather sites that I find reliable. The tentative forecast for next week goes something like this ...
    "The extended outlook through the weekend is for drier weather and it is expected to become warmer as winds become southerly during the early days of next week."

" In general, the trend does look improved next week with the general theme being high pressure nearby or to northwest promoting a dry and seasonable east to northeast flow pattern, although perhaps with some variations as troughs develop. Could see the temperature rising into the higher teens at times."

Granted this is for Ireland but generally speaking we've been having the same rubbish May.

Anyone see positive signs on sites they check? Dare we hope the change is coming?!

Comment

Nothing yet for me, but in the two sunny days we've had my grapevine has put on a good 3 inches of growth - unbelievable !

Comment

down to 5C in the greenhouse last night, and much the same forecast for the week.
        Still only 6C according to the local weather station.......winter was warmer than this

Comment

I've just read in the paper this morning that another cold snap is on it's way! Hail and snow for the north and strong winds and rain for the rest of the country. The paper said it's going to last into June
          I am hoping they've got it wrong.
          If it comes from a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, don't!!

Comment

..... TV says a widespread frost tonight in rural areas!!

Comment

Blah ! I just planted my bloody sweetcorn out!!!

Comment

Hail, sun, rain, sun, hail all in the space of 2hours this morning in my part of midlands. Humph!
                Spelling errors are my area of expertise. Apologies if my jumbled up mind/words cause offence.

Comment

5.5 showing on the car during school run. Feels icy up here today! My sweetcorn is still awaiting transplantation. Anyone grown it in a polytunnel?
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I can't get to lotty to cover my strawberries.

I'd have to be so nice to OH that it would be impossible to ever ask anything of him again.

I had enough trouble with him yesterday!

Just checked BBC website and forecast is 5 degrees for tonight so should be OK.
                    Last edited by donnakebab; 15-05-2012, 09:24 AM.

Comment

BBC says 2 C tonight for us. Should I cover my inch-high peas? I haven't any fleece but could do bubble wrap or newspaper. Sadly all the plastic bottles are in use indoors!
                      March is the new winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Moo's Mum View Post
                        The paper said it's going to last into June
                        Old lady in the post office Q said the telly reckons we'll get two nice days in August, and that's our lot
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          Old lady in the post office Q said the telly reckons we'll get two nice days in August, and that's our lot
                          She probably knows more than all the boffins with their computers

Comment

you want to all get to Warrington - it's been rather nice here and was a balmy weekend , not a cloud in the sky..... it muct be ok today as the cat is lying full strecth with it's belly in the air .
                            Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Just popped out to the garden......all the hail we had yesterday has shredded my beetroot and swiss chard. I'm not a happy bunny.
                              If it comes from a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, don't!!

Comment

We've had rain, hail and it's perishing cold out here in Oldham.
                                Although a brief sunny spell this morning fooled me into going out on the plot and by the time I'd got to my back door it was throwing it down. I went and stood in my greenhouse until it stopped.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X