No announcement yet.

France

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather here today has been gloriously sunny, brilliant to work out in. But, so cold, not much above freezing all day.

But managed to get the raised beds organised/cleared today, raked in some of the compost I retrieved from the composters yesterday, did a bit more tidying.

No gardening for the next few days tho, busy tomorrow - out to lunch and then packing - and then Bordeaux on Friday until Monday evening.

And the meteo looks soooooooooooo good, but then we both need a break.
    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

The weather here has been absolutely glorious! We had a frost overnight but there has been a bright blue sky with some cloud all day - and temperature on terrace reached 18 degrees allegedly....(village pharmacy sign read 21 degrees but dont believe that). Started work on the 'plot'.....still quite a lot of bramble root left in the ground..had a bonfire going all day... down to a t shirt (and jeans) by mid afternoon!
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Beautiful early spring morning here in 24. Gloriously sunny tho it was cold overnight. And the sky last evening looked wonderful, red/pink bands across the horizon.

And it's a no gardening day for me today, well, not here, will be lunching with chums and talking to them about their garden and putting a new potager in for them.
        TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Hi TonyF

Hoping to make the big move to our little plot in 24 in April. Looking forward to getting the fruit and veg going, and OH hooking up his solar pannels (will be off grid :-) ) he was over in Jan during the storms, trying to move our caravan to it's new position, and getting lots of clay face / body packs in the process!!!

Eee the joys of self sufficiency. Anyway, finding your diary of the weather most helpful and looking forward to being able to contribute when we get over there. Only prob is internet connection not too good where we are - need to get together with the neighbour to plead for improvements we think

M

Comment

Hi there- and welcome to the Vine!!!

France eh???? YEY!!!!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Welcome Mistryer....if you are in the Dordogne you will not be too far from me in the Lot....are you really going to do the full self sufficiency thing? Looking forward to your posts....

Comment

yep - coming over in March for a couple of weeks to build some storage (hoping for finer weather than OH had it in Jan!!!) then back again in April for the main move. Hoping large polytunnel will get me cracking with all the veggie stuff, and OH can play with his panels and batteries. Got lots of candles on standby :-)

Gonna be a hoot - keep you all posted.....

Comment

Back from a very cold - yesterday - and overcast Bordeaux tho Saturday was glorious.

Meteo for the next few days is merde, good tomorrow and after that, cold-ish and raining, looks like no-gardening days.

Welcome Mistryer, where in the Dordogne will you be?

And be careful with your tunnel, in some commmunes you may need a permis to contruct one despite them being technically a demountable building - French beaurocracy is a wonderful thing!
                  TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Back in France after 2 and a bit weeks in the cold UK. Had to go to Bordeaux on Saturday after driving back on Friday. As you say, Tony, it was glorious there, and at 20C I was reminded why I wanted to live in SW France.
                    Managed to rotovate some of the potager Sunday and yesterday and sow broad beans and early peas. It's a long time since I remember the soil being so workable here at this time of the year (especially after the very wet end of Jan and the tempete!). Today is more sowing, probably mostly in modules for planting out later.
                    With Wednesday and Thursday predicted to be wet, I doubt whether I will manage to do much in the garden for a few days as my soil gets so sticky.
                    The overwintered caulis are cropping so well that my wife is getting fed up of freezing them!

Comment

Hi TonyF

We will be N21 between Perigueux and Bergerac - yes, learning all about the mind boggling FB, but luckily the local Marie has been brill up to now. Hope that continues....

Just trying to sort through everything here to downsize on all the stuff that 'just comes in handy' as not that much storage at mo, but hate parting with these things

Cant wait to get started tho

M

Comment

Weather today has been glorious. Was on an errand run this morning but after a late lunch got out in the sun and it was really warm.

Managed to prune the grapes on the tunnel and the thornless blackberries. And rebuilt half the other tunnel to restart the kiwis - which are on sale locally, mature plants, for €7.50.

Weather prevision for the next few days is miserable tho and may be quite wet
                        TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

the meteo has been wrong this week so far ...we were told grey and wet but today was luvverly...however couldnt do any gardening because its walk day ...did an almost 4 hour walk under the cliffs above the village with the walking group...in and out of caves....have learned sadly that the bats have gone because there are too many climbers.....

Comment

yeah that's the problem - us humans like to take advantage of these wonderful conditions and the environment for our numerous outdoor pursuits, but the old wildlife dont like us tromping around their patch. Catch 22 as always......

That walk you did though Jardiniere, sounds fab. Hope to find a bit of time for that sort of thing in and among....

Comment

Raining and so cold this morning, no gardening, off to Sarlat to buy a new Karcher (they're on offer all over 24 atm) and get a few more gardening bits and bobs.

But biting winds today, may not even get out this afternoon.
                              TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Trying to Snow again here in Yorkshire TonyF, so could be worse. What does your long range nose tell you it'll be doing 13th onwards?? Really need some fine weather for week or so to get a concrete base down

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X