No announcement yet.

France

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At long last my garden is turning from an extremely wet, squelchy (got the picture?) place in to somewhere that I can start thinking of doing some gardening on. The weather forecast seems to be getting warmer. I might even be able to rotavate the veg plot today and start getting ready for this year's crops. We have had a good supply of veggies throughout the winter and a full deepfreeze as well, so I am thinking of growing a bit less of things like carrots, leeks and brussels this year.

Comment

• The weather has been extremely kind - almost like early summer - especially after the long winter. The veg plot is all rotovated, the sun has done its thing and dried off all the weeds left there, rather than having to pick everything up. I am up to date with all seed planting. The bean trough has been dug, filled with compost and the NEW bean poles have been put in place. I have even managed to mow lawns and part of the field. I don't feel so pressurised now!
      Last edited by Rodley; 24-03-2010, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• Well, things are on the up. Weather here is settled at last, long days of sunshine but very cold today, very windy and set for the same tomorrow. Lots of sun tho and when the wind drops nice and warm tho was very hot last week and at the weekend.

Good thing is that there's lots of seeds coming through and the potager is nearly ready for planting out but not this side of 15 May except for the plants I bought yesterday on the market which are too far on to be left out the ground but I'll use my converted empty 8 litre volvic bottles as cloches
        Last edited by TonyF; 12-04-2010, 07:21 PM.
        TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

• It has been lovely here all day and we managed to get the "field" cut. I have just been out to bring the delicates in for the night and it's very clear and bleddy freezing so I took the precaution of fleecing the peach tree which is full of blossom. Hopefully the apricot (also in blossom will be OK (run out of fleece)
          A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

• Gloriously warm/hot today and wall to wall sunshine tho it was a bit cold this morning but not cold enough for frost.

I was working in the woods this afternoon and it was superb because of the shade and I've already gone that nice dark brown French colour that the molds have after years of working in the garden And I use all the skin stuff too just in case.

Think I'll have to start planting out some peas and beans tomorrow tho, all the raised beds and big pots are ready for them and I need to get them in cos they're too tall for the cold frames.
            TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

• Wall to wall sunshine here too but below freezing at night, it's the period of the Lune rousse which will last until the 14th May. No planting of anything delicate before the 15th as Tony F says. Just hope things don't get too big to protect before then!
              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

• Spent all yesterday in the woods again trying to clear a bank down to where the neighbour has felled all his trees. Good thing is that it opens up a superb new vista across the other side of the road and will let in much more sunshine.

The downside is that the bank was and still is partially covered with hundreds of little oak and birch/beech seedlings which have to be pulled out by hand but at least it's shaded there for the time being.

But, like this morning, wall to wall sunshine again and yesterday it was 25/75 on the terrace when we were having tea.

Strimming the front this morning where the mower doesn't go and back in the woods this afternoon - hopefully to cut the last few trees and then plant out some of the large grasses on the bank And some vinca for ground cover and some day lilies too if I have time
                Last edited by TonyF; 19-04-2010, 10:17 AM.
                TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

• Third hot sunny dayin a row.

...just had our first BBQ
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Looks good for the next couple of days at least here in 24. So gardening tomorrow and Thursday - Wednesday I'm taking a party of 12 Brits to the Archives Departementales as part of their Who Do You Think You Are course.
                    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

• Actually did a bit of gardening today but the weather was very very hot, not in my garden however, trying to get a 20' high laurel hedge - the sort beloved of the French - under control with our Ground Force team. Nightmare job and so hot we had to stop at lunch time and we'll resume on Monday.

Got home too late to do much except inspect and make sure the babies are all right.

Weather set to change tomorrow, looks like some welcome rain which will boost the recuperateur. But did manage to get my final timer and a few other bits for the automatic watering system on the way home tho
                      TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

• Still got lots of sun here with high day and low night temperatures. Could really do with a bit of rain though we have had nothing since the 6th of April and the ground is really drying out except where I have managed to mulch when the ground was wet. Recuperateurs are dangerously low!!!!!!!!
                        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

• Same here Roitelet. Had a sprinkling of rain a few days ago but next to nothing to top up the recuperateur. I've still got about 800 litres I can pump round to the others - just moved one with the compost bins in the potager so it needs filling - but two 500l pots are almost out.

That aside, it's been a glorious day here, very hot, 75/25 plus and have managed to have a go at more of those little jobs that always get left And just watered, bit early I know but Dr Who's on soon
                          TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

• Well!!! Things have gone stark luney. It's gone from 30C and dry to 7C and very, very wet in a week. I had the potager under control, but will be going back to the UK just about when the rain is predicted to stop for a couple of weeks. So I expect that there will be lots of weeding to do when I get back. I am glad someone is looking after my young ones in pots while I am away as they should be safe. What a year!
                            Last edited by Rodley; 05-05-2010, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• Arggghhh,

We've had over an inch or snow - yes snow here in the middle of France today. It started at about 12 o'clock and it finished at about 5pm. I'm just so relieved that I didn't put my babies out before 15th.
                              A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

• Finally got some rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a lot but better than nothing.

Looks as if this year will be dry again. The rainfall since Feb. is as follows. Feb. 39.5mm March 44mm April 10mm and this month so far 25.5mm.

Sounds a lot doesn't it ? But 1mm is equal to 5ltrs over 1 sq metre nakes you reaalise just how little it is.

Oh well I may just be forced to use the hose but only on the veggies!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X