No announcement yet.

Heated Propagators, we falling for it ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i got my 1st last crimbo its a super 7 and yes it can get abit annoying with it drying out but i found that shutting the vents helps keep the moisture in and a daily check and top up solved the drying up prob altogether overall im v happy with mine, i also have a couple of growlights so i dont have a prob leggy plants ,as chris said those vitopods look fantastic and im really thinking about saving up and getting one for next year ,cheers
    The Dude abides.

Comment

As mentioned by a few here, I wouldn't be without mine.. I love my chillies and wanted to be able to regulate temps etc..
      So after a good day at the races, I treated myself with a Heated Geopod which has lights... Worth every penny
      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
      sigpic

Comment

I would really kike to have an electric propagator, but I haven't seen any on sale in Slovakia. And I think the postage if I ordered one from abroad would be very expensive. But I've seen some on the internet that have a separate heating mat that goes underneath the propagator. I wonder if I could buy a mat on its own. I've got plenty of unheated propagators that could take their turns going on top of it. Does anyone know how effective they are? Can you adjust the temperature on them or is it fixed?

Comment

You could also look at those heated mats for pets. Not sure how effective they would be though

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Another lover here, wouldn't be without mine. Usually I start sowing earlier than April in the house and use lights to keep the seedlings in good growth. It's great for compost watch from the comfort of an armchair. This year I've only just started sowing things and I've got the 2 propagators in the greenhouse. It seems to be working well, although the seedlings are still very young they are getting a good amount of natural light. I've been taking the propagator lids off in the days and I've been using fleece for a bit of shading on sunny days. I find capillary matting helps with regulating water although it doesn't solve it altogether and I try to keep things a bit wetter than I'd normally like, to stop anything crisping up while I'm not there. I think they are just great for germinating 'warm loving' seeds and when I have the space they are brilliant at bringing seedlings on as long as you have the light to go with the warmth.

I would have though a heat mat would work with a bit of adapting or what about soil warming cables and have a mini heated tray with soil or gravel and a rigid cloche over the top? I think a thermostat could be added to regulate the temperature.
            Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Zelenina View Post
              I would really kike to have an electric propagator, but I haven't seen any on sale in Slovakia. And I think the postage if I ordered one from abroad would be very expensive. But I've seen some on the internet that have a separate heating mat that goes underneath the propagator. I wonder if I could buy a mat on its own. I've got plenty of unheated propagators that could take their turns going on top of it. Does anyone know how effective they are? Can you adjust the temperature on them or is it fixed?
              I've seen that a lot of chilli growers use reptile mats i.e. heat mats you can get if you're keeping snakes, lizards etc. I think depending on your budget there are some with thermostats you can set to a specific temperature and there are others that just warm to a few degrees above ambient temperature.

Comment

Reptile and pet heat mats could just do the trick. Thanks for those suggestions Mitzi and Jay-ell I probably can't get one around here but the city pet and aquarium shops might have them. Maybe they could be ordered online but I'd like to see one first.
                Last edited by Zelenina; 13-04-2017, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I use a 25w heat cable spread between 2 large plastic storage boxes.

3rd year now and as others have said I wouldn't be without it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X