This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
    Try using the 6 pint milk bottles or the 3l coke bottles there BM...bigger capacity....
    Excellent idea............must remember to drink more milk.........
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Whilst recently making some "ship biscuits" I discovered that I didn't have any pastry cutters (the round thingy's that you use to cut round things in pastry with - like tarts and alike).

I only wanted a small one - so I used one of our empty baby food jars. Worked a treat.

I also use them for storing small quantities of seeds/beans in.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I use the net from a 3 pack of garlic to pack with woody herbs to infuse in dishes where I don't want twigs of rosemary floated around.
        I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
          I use the net from a 3 pack of garlic to pack with woody herbs to infuse in dishes where I don't want twigs of rosemary floated around.
          Love it!....
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

When leaving the house for more than a couple of days I line the bottom of the shower tray with old towels - leaving a gap round the plughole - and take the shower end off. I put the shower pipe into a large, shallow dish on the towels and turn on gently - cold water, of course. Once all is wet I put all the houseplants in, big and small. It works very well and, in addition to keeping the plants happy, it provides the cats with their drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn
              We go through about 25 pints a week
              Cor blimey RT.........Thats 25 pints more than me..................I must try to drink milk.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

When you buy a rolled joint of meat and it is secured by that elastic netting. When the meat is cooked remove the net. Wash and save it till the next time you bone and roll your own. It is sooo useful.

Comment

2pt milk carton makes excellent feed scoop. Cut across top through the thick band below the handle then diagonal to the thick band round the bottom, then across again.
                  If you use washing liquid that supplies a measure they're dead handy to pop seed in til its dried out.
                  String from haylage bales plaits up into cord or rope for hanging feeders or waterers, tieing doors etc (just dont use it for anything that needs it to break, cos it wont)
                  Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

If you can get hold of some water containers from the water drinks machines they make great cloches when sawn off at the bottom.
                    I find popping the smaller plastic drinks bottles over a long stick is useful for popping an empty seed packet inside so you know exactly whats planted there, as it keeps it dry so long as you dont push it in too far, has worked so far this year and is kept dry.
                    Old net curtains to cover your early crop, pegged down to prevent birds attacking them.
                    Most big store pizza usually come with a plastic tray that can be used as a saucer for pots.
                    Odd bits of underlay are good for cutting into a circle and using to pop around the base to protect from pests and are reuseable.

Comment

I have tried useing cut off water bottles as cloches but every day I go out to look at the plants the bottles have fallen over. How do you keep them in the ground?????
                      Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

How about using a cane in the middle, Stella? You will have to place the cane in alongside the plant then slide the bottle over the top.
                        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

So easy when you point it out, now why didnt i thank of that
                          thanks
                          Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

I use the tubes which tennis balls come in as cloches over small flowerpots when striking cuttings.
                            If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Here I am............pallet man again!

The plastic seed trays you buy are too small for me and not deep enough to see most plants through to the time they need planting out. They also dry out too quickly and the seedling becomes devoid of nutrients.

Step up the pallet again.............. Pallet strips are just the right height for a homemade seedtray which can be made bigger to suit your requirements.

I used to use old tomato boxes which were the right size but didn't last very long. Seedtrays made about the same size as tomato boxes with treated pallet wood should last a lifetime.

I can feel a project coming on!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

No problem using pallet wood for plant boxes but if you want them to last a long time use annular ring nails they stop in a lot longer and the boxes do not fall apart easy ....jacob
                                What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                                Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X